Chapter Sixteen

Eleanor rushed after Lord Stanley and Lisa Pitt but found herself confronted with Lady Munthorpe.

"Miss Hastings," the woman hailed, planting herself firmly in front of Eleanor. "May I have a moment of your time?"

"I am very sorry, my lady, but I do seem to be in a hurry right now," Eleanor said, almost frantic.

"Excellent," Lady Munthorpe said as if she had not even heard Eleanor. "I wanted to take a moment to thank you."

"Perhaps we could have this conversation outside," Eleanor suggested, stepping backwards and toward the doors to the patio where Stanley and Lisa had disappeared to. "I am feeling rather tired and how after that last dance."

"An excellent idea, Miss Hastings," Lady Munthorpe answered gamely. She followed Eleanor almost at as a run as Eleanor rushed to the patio she found it empty. She scanned the street but found nothing.

"My, you enjoy a good exertion," Lady Munthorpe said. "As I was saying, I wanted to thank you for the particular attention you have given to my daughter. Of course, being at her station, I knew she would attract friends and admirers." Lady Munthorpe daintily waved a hand as if this was obvious. "But I am so aware that she is a painfully shy girl."

Eleanor sagged back into a potted plant. Lisa and Stanley were gone. He had taken her, most likely to feed. She had failed. But Lady Munthorpe was still talking, unaware of the danger to her daughter.

"I do think you acquaintance has had a positive influence on her," Lady Munthorpe concluded. She looked at Eleanor expectantly.

"I think you for your kind words," Eleanor said wearily. "She is a fine girl and I am sure she will make a good match, with or without my influence." Eleanor stood straighter. A fine match. Stanley had said that he and Lisa would be very happy together. That could mean he intended to not just feed from her, but to turn her. If that was his intention, then there was still time.

"Thank you again, my lady," Eleanor said with a curtsy. "I do think Lisa is a wonderful lady. I must now go find my own fiancé. You know how it is, so hard to be apart."

She rushed inside, leaving Munthorpe staring after her. Eleanor scanned her eyes across the room until they fell upon Taric on the far side, engaged in conversation with a Viscount. She hurried across to him, weaving her way in between the knots and clusters of people. Finally she made it and laid a hand on his arm.

"Mister Taric, my dear, may I have a word?" she said, interrupting the Viscount in mid conversation. Both men turned to look at her. "I am not feeling well and hoped you would call me a carriage home," Eleanor continued. Taric took one look at her face and guided her from the room. In the relatively empty hall, he sat her down and settled beside her.

"Miss Hastings, are you alright? You look pale."

"Lisa Pitt," Eleanor said hurriedly. "Lord Stanley, he's taken her. He's a vampire. I don't know how I did not notice it earlier, stupid, stupid girl! His eyes were dark and his hands so cold."

"Eleanor, slow down, please," Taric said. He took her hands in his. "Lord Stanley is a vampire? And he has taken Miss Pitt?"

Eleanor nodded. "Yes. He took her outside to the patio and when I followed them, they had gone. I would have followed further but Lady Munthorpe was with me and I did not think I could risk arousing her suspicion. I should have gone anyway." She clenched her free hand into a fist. She had been stupid and wasted valuable time.

"No, you should not have," Taric said sternly. "You have no idea what could have been waiting in the dark and you were unarmed. And besides, Lady Munthorpe and soon the entirety of the ton would have known something was amiss."