Chapter Fifteen

Eleanor and Dee had a light dinner that night, joined by Dee's husband, Lord Knightley. He was a quiet man and spent most of the dinner gazing fondly at his wife as she chattered. She avoided the topic of vampires and Eleanor found herself wondering if the man even knew about their existence. After dinner, a maid servant lead her upstairs to a bedroom where her trunks had already been delivered. She allowed herself to be undressed and then slipped into bed. It was strange not seeing Jane, as she had become accustomed to the woman's presence over the past two months. She was settling into for a night of sleeplessness when there was a knock at the door. She sat up in time to see Dee entering, carrying a candle.

"I hoped you would not be asleep." Without asking, she took a seat the foot of the bread. Eleanor pulled her knees up to her chest. "I wanted to talk to you."

"What about?" Eleanor asked. She could not begin to express her gratitude toward the older woman for allowing her to stay at the house, so she could not grudge her this evening visit.

"What you're going to do." The woman gazed at her fondly. "I worry about you. I cannot know what you went through in India but just what you've suffered here, it would be enough to send most people running for the hills. But you've resolved to stay and fight. I respect that in you."

"Oh." Eleanor shifted uncomfortably. "I appreciate that, but I am just doing my duty."

"I know you are. That's what makes it so admirable. You don't think you're doing anything special."

"There are only a few people who can help slay vampires. Five of us, actually," Eleanor clarified. "If I run, I'd be abandoning them."

"Well, as admirable as that is, you're not going to do anyone any good if you get yourself killed. So what is your plan?"

"I am not quite sure," Eleanor said slowly. "We know they're targeting members of our class, of the ton. Maybe trying to get into the government. Taric and I went patrolling last night and we should go again tomorrow. I should be out there tonight but, well, after today I thought I should get some sleep."

Dee patted her knee. "I support that idea," she said dryly. "Patrolling then, that's your plan? I don't mean to say it's a bad one. But your ability to stay in London without your family is not infinite. Eventually you will have to return home. So whatever you are doing, you likely need to do it quickly."

Eleanor clenched her fists in her blanket. "I know. I've thought of that. I think we're going to have to start investigating those in our social circles, as best as we can. Attending all the balls and such, seeing if we can find anyone who's been turned. And try to find out what they know."

"Not a terrible idea," Dee nodded. "I should be able to help with that. I can certainly act as chaperone at any events. Not here, of course. I need to limit who I invite inside."

"Of course," Eleanor agreed.

"Very well, then." Dee stopped put, picking up her candle. "I'll let you get to sleep. I shall see you in the morning."

"Goodnight, Dee." Eleanor slipped back down into bed. She stared at the darkness of the wall as her mind raced. She knew she was running out of time. She could feel it. The vampires were getting bolder, the fact that they were attacking more and more members of the ton was evidence of that.

Eleanor finally drifted off to sleep. When she woke up, she experienced a moment of disorientation until she remembered where she was. She'd had several such mornings when she had just arrived back in London, but she had become used to the townhouse. It appeared as if she would have to get used to a new surrounding all over again.

She had a light breakfast with Dee and then set about familiarizing herself with the house. It was empty with just Lydia and Lord Knightley. Eleanor had been in it for the dinner where she met Mister Franklin and was attacked, but she had not had the chance to explore. It was much larger than her own family's house in town. She could not even fathom what some of the rooms were for. Eventually she found herself in a library and settled down to read. She was interrupted some time later by a knock at the door and the house's butler appeared. She could not remember the man's name.