Chapter Four

Eleanor's mother avoided her for the better part of the next day. Her brother did not, but it seemed he only spent time in the same room as a way to deliberately not speak to her. She couldn't not complain. Anger at their argument the night before still burned hot within her. If he wished to discuss it with her then he was welcome, but she would not make the first conciliatory move.

Rose had gone out with Henry and the nurse to order some new clothing, as he seemed to be growing abnormally fast. So naturally it followed that the one o'clock hour rolled around with Eleanor having spoken to no one. At one, a knock at the parlor door announced the arrival of Williams with a letter for Eleanor.

"A letter from Lady Lydia Clawson, Miss," he accounted, presenting her with a small envelope on a platter. She delicately opened it to find a short message inside.

Dear Miss Eleanor Hastings,

I would very much enjoy the honor of your company for tea between the hours of two and three in the afternoon. I should like to continue our very interesting discussion at the ball a fortnight past. If amenable, please arrive at 73 Albany Street at the aforementioned time.

Yours,

Dee

"Williams, please inform my mother that I will be going out for tea but shall return for dinner." Eleanor set aside the book she had been reading and climbed the two flights of stairs up to her bedroom. It took nearly an hour to dress and arrange her hair to her maid's satisfaction, but finally she was ready to leave in a light blue dress.

"Williams says you're going out."

Eleanor turned at the top of the stairs to find her mother.

"Yes, to tea."

Olivia raised her eyebrows. "May I ask with whom?"

"Lady Clawson sent me a letter an hour ago, she asked me to call."

"Lady Clawson? You mean Lady Knightley."

"I didn't know her title. May I go?" Eleanor asked. She had no desire to see her mother disappointed in her, even if it was hard to understand her motivations sometimes.

"She can be a bit....eccentric but she is generally accepted in good society. Of course you may go."

Eleanor paused. "About last night..." she began but her mother held up a hand.

"We can discuss it later. Go to your tea. This is your first call alone."

Eleanor nodded and was soon on the street. According to Williams, Albany street was just two over and sure enough, soon she was standing at an old house with the numbers 73. Hesitating for a moment, she went up and knocked at the door.

She was led inside an expansive and finely furnished hall by a middle-aged footman with greying hair. Instead of being taken to a waiting room as she had expected, and as she had done with her previous visits to other houses with her mother, she was taken directly to the drawing room. Obviously, Lady Knightley was waiting for her. And indeed, when Eleanor was shown into the drawing room, the lady of the house rose to her feet from a delicate settee and greeted her warmly.

"I'm most glad you've come, Miss Hastings," she said, adjusting her wrap around her shoulders as she did so. "I feared I had sent the invitation too late in the day."

"Not at all, Lady Knightley," Eleanor answered. "I have been reading all morning."

"Reading, hmm?" Knightley said with what seemed to be genuine interest. "Well I always said you were a smart girl. Please, sit." She gestured toward a chair and Eleanor settled into it. "Tea should arrive any moment."