Chapter Thirteen

Eleanor spent the afternoon in a two hour long discussion with Jane regarding what clothing to pack and what to leave out for the next two days. Olivia apparently planned on staying in the next several days so Eleanor picked the plainest traveling gowns she had. After that, there was nothing to do but wait impatiently for midnight to come.

She paced her small room, her bare feet softly padding on the floor. Her blood was pumping in a way it hadn't in months. She still felt weak from the night before but the adrenaline that had begun coursing through her more than made up for it. She had to remind herself that they were merely keeping watch tonight. She doubted they would even encounter any vampires. But it still felt like a hunt.

At half past eleven, Eleanor dressed and descended the stairs. The house was quiet. Her mother had gone to sleep early as she had no engagements, and Eleanor had only seen Robert once the entire day. The servants had gone to bed as well, leaving Eleanor free to slip out the back door and into the street. The streets were dark and empty and Eleanor moved through them as quickly as she could. She slipped a hand behind her bag and wrapped her hand around the hilt of the dagger she kept under her wrap. She doubted a vampire was present, but she made a tempting target to common criminals. Nevertheless, she reached Taric's rooms without incident. She hesitated, unwilling to announce her presence by knocking. She doubted he got many nighttime callers, let alone young women. Fortunately, she was spared the decision when the door opened of its own accord and Taric himself stepped out.

"You're here," he commented, again sounding as if he had not truly expected her to come.

"Where do we start?" Eleanor asked.

"Straight to business, then," he responded. He pulled a cap over his head, despite the warmth of the evening. "Come along." He started off down the street and Eleanor jogged to keep up.

"Where are we going?" she asked as she fell into step behind him. He lead her into a narrow path off the main street.

"Can you ride?" he asked.

"Of course. Where are we going?" she repeated.

"Into central London. That's where we've found the most signs of vampires."

"You have horses?" Eleanor asked. Then she remembered. "Ah yes, your deadly curricle."

Taric shot her a look somewhere between amusement and annoyance. "You still remember that, I see."

"I could scarcely forget it," Eleanor answered. "I quite feared for Miss Lisa's life."

"You will be pleased to hear that you will not be riding one of my greys. I have a much gentler horse for you. Oh, do not look at me in that manner. You're much too small to ride the grey."

Eleanor could scarcely protest what was a quite accurate assessment of her height so she contented herself with muttering darkly as they approached the mews. Sure enough, as they approached a groomsmen brought out two riding horses.

"These much cost a fortune to board," Eleanor commented as she took possession of her horse, a sweet looking dappled mare.

"I would not think the daughter of a Vsicount would trouble herself with such things."

Eleanor thought he sounded almost bitter, but she could not fathom why. She let the comment slide and instead climbed into the saddle. She patted the horse's neck reassuring as it shifted under her weight.

"What's her name?" Eleanor asked.

"Apple."

"What a...prosaic name." She matted the mare again. "Yet it suits her, I think. Alright then, Apple, it's you and me."