Chapter One

Eleanor Hastings had woken up that morning determined to avoid a scandal. She had let her mother pick out the white dress and direct her maid on exactly how to do her hair, a combination of up and down that was apparently all the rage in France. She had even agreed to enter the ballroom just late enough to cause a stir, but only because it was more favorable than standing in the receiving line next to her mother. Now enclosed in a circle of strangers, she wondered why her mother's desire for her to stand out had to be so contrary to her own wish to blend in.

"Lord Sanderley and Miss Hastings," they were announced as they entered. Eleanor scanned the rows of faces and could not find a single familiar one. She was hardly surprised, as she had left England over 9 years ago. Even then their visits to London had been rare and she had barely left the townhouse during those trips. According to her mother, it was not fit for a sixteen year old girl who had not come out to be seen parading around the town.

Eleanor's brother guided her into the room and slowly the murmur of voices started up again. Those closest to them were still watching in interest but the groups around the room returned to their conversations, which filled Eleanor with relief. She glanced at her brother's face, which was fixed in a pleasant smile. "Do we really have to do this?" she asked. "We could just go home."

"And have you end up an old maid?" he asked in mock horror. "Never!"

Eleanor was about to respond that she severely doubted anyone but their mother would mind if that happened when they came to a stop in front of a blonde haired elderly woman.

"Lady Winthrop!" Lord Robert Hastings gave a deep bow. "May I have the honor of presenting my sister, Miss Eleanor Hastings?"

Eleanor curtsied low and then took the hand that was offered.

"You may, dear boy," Lady Winthrop responded. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Hastings. I was a great admirer of your father before he took you all away to the subcontinent. A shame, that."

Eleanor watched Robert stride away as Winthrop ushered her into a group of three other women. She was not close to her brother but at the moment he was the only familiar face in a very crowded room.

"I was surprised when Lord Sanderley took you with him and not your brother. Fathers are always closer to their sons than their daughters, as a rule. We mothers love both equally of course, but fathers do tend to favor their heirs. Who can blame them really?"

"I can't say I've ever thought about it," was all Eleanor could manage to say. Lady Winthrop was a woman of short stature but her voice held a confidence that Eleanor had not heard before. That and the lady's imposing grey hair made her seem to stand six foot rather than five.

"Oh, I don't doubt that," Winthrop responded with an airy laugh. "I believe I have put more thought into these kinds of things that most have, it's one of my little enjoyments. I'm sure you were very close to your father."

"I was, yes."

"Of course you were, dear. And especially since he took you away from your mother, girls are always closer to their mothers, especially at sixteen. It's such a trying age, you know. I told him before he left, I said "Lord Sanderley, go to that savage country if you must, but leave your daughter here. Her mother can raise her much better than you can." But he never listened to me.... Oh dear, it must be hard losing him at so young an age. Of course, I was barely older than you when my own father passed. But you must be so happy to be back home, you poor dear. I can't imagine spending all those years in that wretched place."

"Oh yes," Eleanor answered, steeling herself to be polite. "It's so lovely to be back. I actually missed rainy nights like today's, even the rain's different in India."