Chapter 9

DARLENE

After the news story aired on television about my relationship with Desmond. Everywhere we went, Desmond and I kept getting stares. Not to mention the constant phone calls from the media wanting an exclusive story about me committing fraud and nepotism to help Desmond get a scholarship. I have not done such. It was Desmond's hard work of taking online classes and keeping a G.P.A of 3.7, which he was well over the required minimum of a 3.0. Desmond was the one who put in the work to get the scholarship. We were feeling so stressed out, we decided to leave the city. I had a five-bedroom house that I inherited from my parents. I usually go there during vacation, some holidays, and summertime when I am not teaching summer courses.

I have not been back in months, and it was an excellent time to go. Desmond and I left around 6 in the morning with me behind the wheel. It was already 8 am, which we were just shy halfway the distance. I had to make a quick stop to use the bathroom. Desmond fueled the gas tank while I was in the bathroom, praying to the porcelain gods. My offering was the morning breakfast we had earlier. I have anxiety issues thanks to fucking Terrance and have been having them a lot more lately since we been in the spotlight. I was in the bathroom for ten minutes hoping that the vertigo feeling would go away soon. When I returned to the driver's side, Desmond had already fueled. However, he was still in the gas station, getting a few snacks for the road. Desmond returned he started rubbing my stomach.

"Baby, are you okay! Feeling better."

"Slightly! All this stress has been getting to me."

"Maybe you should let me drive!"

"No, I am fine. Besides, I know the way."

"Tell me where we are going, and I will get us there!"

"No, I need to drive. It helps me clear my mind."

"Well, if you insist, but maybe you should have a swig of this." Desmond replied while reaching in the bag to present a Vernors beverage."

"This shit will cure all those stomach problems."

"A Vernors. That's nothing but sugar water."

"You crazy. Drink this shit real fast, I swear yo ass gon' fill like a million bucks."

I swear Detroiters think that Vernors is an all-around cure for any sickness. However, I decided to drink it anyway. I literally had nothing on my stomach, which is terrible, terrible news for me with an upset stomach.

"See, I bet you are feeling better already."

"Well, the nausea is still there, but at least I am not thirsty anymore."

"Give it a minute for it to kick in." I smiled at Desmond's confidence in a beverage that did not have any healing property.

We decided to continue along the way. Just as we were about to drive out of the gas station, we heard sirens as State Troopers arrived with crimson and blues lights flashing. One pulled in front of the car, and one pulled back, pinning us into a gridlock. All the cops got out as they had their guns drawn. The police ordered us to see our hands. We held them up in full view, hoping the police don't shoot us. One officer opened Desmond out of the car and forced him on the ground. They had a gun pointed to his head while one cuffed him.

"Ahh! Get your knee off my neck," Desmond yelled. "You are hurting him. That is not necessary." I yelled. Desmond was handcuffed and searched.

One cop came to my side and ordered me out of the car and escorted them to the immediately asked me questions.

"Ma'am, are you okay," asked a burly white officer.

"I am fine; what the hell is all this!"

"Ma'am, we received a phone call about a woman matching your description was in the bathroom who seemed to be in distress."