"Really?" Eli asked, feeling intrigued. "Go on then, entertain me while I pick this lock."

Ri cleared his throat and turned towards Eli.

"Here goes:

Eli the rider,

Crawls around like a spider

And tried to kill the queen.

Yes, she's really mean."

Eli stopped jamming her lockpick into the keyhole to stare up at Ril, who had a smug look on his face. "Seriously? I was expecting you to praise my bravery, loyalty and skill, but you're comparing me to a mean spider?"

Ril grinned. "I made that one up on the spot. I'll recite the one I actually made about you after I consult a bard."

Eli rolled her eyes before turning back to the lock, but her heart was still racing. She felt good about the fact that Ril made a song for her, and was going to consult a bard. Although she found the part about consulting a bard... weird, to say the least.

After over ten minutes of trial and error and Ril's impatient pacing around, the lock gave off a satisfying click, and the door drifted open.

Eli moved aside and bowed dramatically as she pulled the door open for Ril to leave. He took his time, stretching his legs as he went.

"Ah, finally. I can't wait to breath fresh air, and see the moon and the stars," he said, smiling an honest smile. Eli grinned at him and handed him the two bags.

"Put on the amour first, who knows there'll be time to do it outside. In this bag there's-"

Ril interrupted her. "Don't worry, I know. You told me several times while you picked the locks. I won't lose the documents. Want me to swallow them to make sure?"

"Rather not. Hurry up."

Ril started putting on the armour of equally as questionable quality as the sword, and struggled with every step.

"What kind of armour is this, even? This is completely different than what I'm used to."

Eli snickered. "That's how I felt when I was putting on armour of one of your guards. A completely different system. Luckily, you have me to help you."

With Eli's help, they got the armour on in record time, except for wrist guards, which were far too small so they tossed them in one of the empty cells.

Eli grinned at Ril as she handed him the cape, which was of rather poor quality and had several smaller holes in it. "I see you've grown fond of my cloak."

Eli blushed. "I brought it here to give it back to you, but it would be suspicious if my cloak disappeared at the same time as you did."

"Yeah, that's totally the reason, I believe that."

"It is, you dumb elf. Now move it, we don't have all day."

Eli led the way out of the dungeon and the two of them climbed out through the window. Ril had to cover his eyes for a while to adjust to the sudden abundance of natural light.

"Fuck, I forgot how bright nights can get," he said, blinking rapidly as he tried to look. "And I forgot your eyes were blue, I could just see them glow down there."

Eli grinned. "I could see yours just fine. Let's go, your horse is waiting just beyond the treeline. Nobody's noticed your escape yet, so I'll escort you there."

"How chivalrous of you, general."

"Anything for you, prince."

Ril rolled his eyes, matching his pace with Eli. "I wonder how the king's doing. He's probably going to wait with announcing my royal blood until after this war is over."