𝟬.𝟭𝟬

𝗺𝗲𝘁 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗼𝗻 𝗰𝗵𝗿𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗺𝗮𝘀

prologue

"It's the most beautiful time of the year, lights fill the streets, spreading so much cheer..."

This chapter is dedicated to adorablejenzie! You've been so excited for this book so you get the first dedication.💘 I'll be doing dedications in every chapter so continue leaving comments and reading, and I'll dedicate a chapter to you in the future <33

This format is inspired by genZtrash's book, Love Lessons.

» POV: Mackenzie Ziegler «

˚✧˖*༄

˚✧˖*༄

december 25, 18 years ago.

The most beautiful time of year was here. The favorite holiday of the year, both to the youth and to the aged. It was finally Christmas. All the sparkly lights, shimmery decorations, festive sounds, the ring of jingle bells and other carols on repeat, mouthwatering smells wafting through the town square, and delicious holiday goodies had arrived in town, along with the annual Christmas party my family held at our house for all the beloved family, friends, and neighbours. The aura of Christmas festivity was fully present, and I loved it.

I was six then. For a six year old, I was an awfully observant child. Every year, there was sure to be newcomers, and my eagle-sharp eyes would always spot them. But somehow, this year, I missed them. I was preoccupied, looking for my best friend in the midst of the guests. As I spotted her, I ran toward her, arms out stretched, ready to embrace her, but all of a sudden, a boy's figure obscured my view, and I bumped into him, and we both took a quick tumble.

"Oh my gosh I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to run into you!" I squeaked, while getting up from the floor. "Oh yeah, Merry Christmas!"

He looked about a year older than me. Thin, gangly, and just a little less coordinated than me, he had dirty blonde hair, and his eyes were a light green emerald. They were the first pair of eyes I'd seen that colour.

"John! Johnny! There, I finally found you!" A girl, with the same dirty blonde hair, and green eyes, came running up to the boy. His name was Johnny. She gave me a quick glance, then engulfed me in a hug, squealing about how we'd become best friends.

Apparently, they were my new neighbours, who lived in the beige house right next to ours, and I could see Johnny's room from mine.

"Um, that's my sister Lauren. She's six this year." Johnny spoke softly, while looking at the younger girl, still clutching my waist, before trying to pull her off me. I giggled, and gave her a quick hug. Unable to pull us apart now, Johnny joined in our hug, and the three of us laughed.

"I LOVE group hugs! I'm Mackenzie, but everyone calls me Kenzie. I'm six this year too! How old are you, Johnny?" I exclaimed, unable to control myself anymore. I was just too happy to keep it in.

"I'm seven this year! It's my first year of school, and I just started school here in September!" He ecstatically exclaimed, before going on, chattering about the new backpack and stationery he got for school, while Lauren stood next to me, pouting and complaining about how she didn't get a new backpack, or "pretty new sashionary", as she pronounced it.