chapter ten

At 9:15pm that same night, I had just finished straightening the last strand of my hair. Staring at my reflection in the mirror, I had never felt more alive. My mom's mascara and lipstick really did wonders on my face by accentuating my features and making me appear a bit older. I examined my outfit in detail. My purple button up shirt fit better tied up like a crop top and my purple pencil skirt hugged my hips and waist perfectly. Unbuttoning the top two buttons on my shirt, I felt rather scandalous exposing my chest but I loved the thrill of it.

I smirked at my new look and checked myself out in the mirror. I was proud that the new me had style and poise that the old me didn't have. I felt like a completely different person, as if my alter ego had jumped out and taken control of my mind and body. With my white Adidas shoes, I skipped downstairs and left my mom a note saying that I was at Topanga's. It turned out that Heather Brio lived in my neighborhood, so her party was walking distance for me. I spritzed my mom's expensive perfume on my bare chest, glossed my lips one more time, and perked up my breasts before marching out of the house and crossing the street to attend Heather's party.

Heather's house was around the same size as mine, so I wasn't impressed by it. The door was left ajar, allowing the outside to be exposed to the blaring music coming from the inside of her home. I walked in alongside two other girls wearing crop tops and jeans. Instantly, I was greeted by the sound of deafening music, chatter, and laughter. There were at least one hundred people on the first floor dancing, chatting, or drinking. It truly was a sight to see.

As I pushed my way passed the crowd, I made my way into the kitchen where I found Cory eating a turkey sandwich from the fridge. Once Cory recognized me, he nearly choked on his sandwich. "Mary Jane, how did you get hot in the span of five hours?" Cory questioned suspiciously with a mouthful of his sandwich. I chuckled at his indirect compliment.

"Thank you for the compliment. Where's Shawn?" I asked him.

"Last time I saw him, he was dancing with Heather. Bad news, she isn't wearing lingerie," he complained bitterly. I feigned frustration and indignation.

"How dare she?" I complained sarcastically. Cory shrugged his shoulders and shook his head. As guys walked passed me trying to get by, they couldn't help but check me out. With some of the ones I caught, I would playfully smirk and draw their attention back to my lips. I was getting pretty good at controlling guys, and I was proud of my new skills. I was finally getting the hang of it. I was like the black girl version of Heather Brio, but smarter and hotter of course.

* * *

"We're about to start playing Seven Minutes in Heaven, so if you want to play then get in a big circle. We need an equal amount of boys and girls!" This one kid called out. I recognized him as Kyle Franco, one of Heather's popular friends. I believe he played for the football team or something like that. Stepping up to the plate, I joined the game and sat down in a circle next to a group of girls that looked like juniors. I had never played Seven Minutes in Heaven and frankly, I was a bit nervous. I had also never kissed or made out with anyone, so I was extra anxious about making out with a boy I didn't even know.

By the time we started the game, there were seven girls and seven guys participating. I scanned the boys with my eyes very quickly and was impressed by the number of attractive boys that were participating. On the other hand, I also felt more apprehensive about the game since the popular boys were playing, which meant they had a lot of experience and I had none.

The first couple chosen was Alice Ackerman and Chase Henderson. Alice was my acquaintance in my Spanish class, but I didn't know her well enough to predict what she would do. Chase was a well-known player so I had a strong guess as to where his mind would be. For seven minutes, we waited impatiently for the timer to be up. We kept hearing banging sounds as if someone was slamming their body against the wall. "Do you guys think they're making out in there?" A girl asked giggling.