Eleanor had no response ready for such directness, especially from her brother.

"At the very least, you will be able to get away from mother," Robert added, head buried in his newspaper. "I am sure you would both benefit from that."

Eleanor still said nothing. She could not entertain the notion of simply picking the most pleasant of the men she had encountered and hoping he would make her an offer. She had not had enough time in London to get used to being there again, let alone to form any marked attachment to anyone. However...it certainly would have her mother ease up on her. But still, the idea was ridiculous. Once the engagement was made, it could not be broken, at least not without a great deal of public disgrace that she could very well do without. No, there would be a better way.

The fact that Robert had suggested she take a husband merely to please their mother made Eleanor realize just how dedicated to this their mother was. She would not rest until Eleanor had spent at least five evenings with every eligible man in the city. Whatever Eleanor was going to do had to be done quickly.

She begged off the evening's dinner, claiming she did not feel well. Her mother took one look at her and agreed, which Eleanor felt must say something about her state of mind. She was nervous, she realized. As soon as the family had left for the dinner, Eleanor got up out of her bed and dressed herself in a plain pair of leggings and an old shirt. She tied up her hair herself. Jane did not need to be involved in her lie.

Eleanor took a simple leather satchel and stowed away her stake. She could not be too careful. She would much rather do this during the day but she doubted that river combing would be taken kindly by the police. She would find that one very hard to explain.

The alley behind the house was dark and empty. Eleanor set an even pace as she walked south and east. It would take some time to make it to the location the clam-selling girl had mentioned, at least an hour. As she walked, she made a mental map of the city. Her father had spent countless hours drilling directions into her mind, sending her on trips through the city and then making her draw a map of where she had been on her return. If she got any of the details wrong, he would send her out again.

The streets were dark but far from empty, especially as she got further and further from the rich streets where she lived. Eleanor kept to the shadows near the buildings, trying to keep out of sight. She could hear drunken laughter coming an alleyway and hurried past. She was confident in her ability to dispatch a vampire but she would rather not be bothered by humans.

A silent hour later, Eleanor stood overlooking the Thames. She had been following the river for perhaps a mile, but here the banks were less steep and muddy shores ran along each side. She shuffled down the dirty banks and landed in the mud, feeling it suck at her booted feel. The river was flowing along silently, lapping against the shores. Eleanor gazed out over the black water and a feeling of trepidation slipped over her. She slipped a hand under her shirt and gripped the handle of the knife she had strapped to the small of her back.

Eleanor trod down the shore along the river. Pieces of trash stuck out from the mud at odd angles or bobbed in the water. A stink rose from the river and Eleanor was careful not to step into the dark water. She walked slowly, taking in the feel of the area. She could not imagine spending each and every night stalking down this river, looking for something that she might be able to sell for a few pence. She had seen enough of the poor to know just how lucky she was.

The riverbank was empty from what she could see. She went perhaps a quarter mile when she saw movement up ahead. Pressing herself up against the side of the bank, she watched a figure approach. She stayed still as it slowly shuffled past. She could make out the shape of a man carrying a bag over his shoulder. Occasionally he would bend down to examine something in the mud. He paused a few yards in front of Eleanor and worked something out of the mud. He put it in his bag and then continued on his way. Eleanor waited five minutes for him to disappear into the dark fog before she disentangled herself from the bank and continued down the river.