Chapter Nine

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The restaurant was bigger than Dean had expected and he couldn't shake this nervous feeling that seemed to coil around the base of his spine and wrap around the squeeze his stomach tight. Something just didn't feel right about this. God she was beautiful, and she was so sweet. Much too good for a guy like him. They were seated at a table near the front of the restaurant and he caught her looking over the top of her menu at him on multiple occasions. He smiled every time he caught her and she blushed every time. When their server arrived she took their drink order and Dean was surprised when she ordered a beer. "I took you for a fruity drink kind of girl." He admitted sheepishly. She laughed. "No, I like beer." The server returned with their beers and set then down, She took their orders and left again. "So Dean, tell me about yourself." She leaned her arms on the table and watched him. "What do you want to know?" He asked warily. Opening up to a stranger was not something he really wanted to do. "Besides your car, what other things are you passionate about? What shows do you watch? What's your favorite music?" She asked. These were questions he was ok with and he relaxed a bit. "Classic rock is my favorite, Metallica, Zeppelin, I could keep going." He smiled. "I don't watch a lot of TV, but Sam got me to watch Game of Thrones. I like that." "I like that show too. I like some classic rock, but I like country." She told him. "Oh, you just lost mad points there." He said with a laugh. "You don't like country?" She asked. "No, I hate it." He replied honestly. "That's ok, no one's perfect." She said with a playful laugh. "Did you get a chance to call your sister and tell her what happened? I'm sorry, I didn't even think to offer you my phone." He said. "I called her. Of course she yelled at me for staying with you guys tonight, but it's not like she's willing to make the drive out here to get me, so sucks to be her." There was no bitterness in her voice. She had a good relationship with her sister, he could sense it. "We promise not to cook you and eat you for breakfast tomorrow." He said, forcing his most sober expression. "I know, you and Sam, you're good guys. I could sense that the moment I met you." She tilted her head and looked up at him, her lower lip caught between her teeth and he realized that he felt...nothing. Not a damn thing. Talking with her was great, and she was so pretty, but he just didn't feel any chemistry. There must have been something on his face because she sat up straighter, frowning. "Are you ok?" He took a chug of his beer and nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine." His voice was deeper, more guarded and she felt as though whatever opportunity there had been between then was now lost. Now she was just curious. "So, what's her name?" She was looking at him, one eyebrow raised but there was no anger in her voice. In fact, she looked as though she was just curious. "What? There's not..." She held up a hand cutting him off. "Please Dean, I'd like to think that we're becoming friends, and friends don't lie to one another. I can see the way you stare at your phone in frustration, as though by simple will alone you can make someone call you, and sometimes you just seem lost in thought, as though you're thinking about someone else. So tell me, what's her name?" Dean stared down at his hands that were spread open on the table in front of him, a lightheaded feeling washed over him and he felt a tightness in this throat. Here Cassandra was looking right through him, as though she'd known him his entire life and she had just met him. How bad was he at hiding his emotions. He didn't know what to say, or whether he even should. "Dean, it's clear you're hurting. I know it can be hard to talk to your brother, I know how siblings can be, but I'm not going to judge you." She touched his hand, half expecting him to pull away but instead he grasped her hand as though it were a lifeline, clinging tightly to it. "Dean, what's her name?" She asked again, softer this time. The hand he wasn't clinging to her with he used to wipe at the tears that were blurring his vision and making it impossible to see. "Castiel." He spoke so softly that she had almost missed the name. "Castiel? That sounds like a..." And then it hit her. "Oh..." Dean cringed, expecting rejection but instead she put her other hand over his as well. "Dean, you think I'll hate you because you love another man? Please, I wouldn't be a good friend if I did." He wiped furiously at his eyes, refusing to flat out cry and when he finally looked up she could see that he was once again in control of his emotions but his eyes were red rimmed. "I don't know what to do." He admitted, and she could see how truly lost he was. "Well, have you tried telling him how you feel?" He scoffed at the idea. "He doesn't feel that way about me." He said bitterly. "Are you sure? Have you even asked him? You won't know unless you talk to him." She said. He sighed deeply. Why did everyone insist that he talk about his feelings? "I get it, you're afraid of rejection. But what if he loves you back just as much? What if he's just waiting for you to say the words first?" Her words were kind, and he knew she was right, but damn it, he didn't want to be the one to open up first. "Why don't you call him?" She suggested. "Oh, no, no, no, I can't call him." He said quickly. "Why not?" She pressed. He opened his mouth to say something and then closed it. He had absolutely no good reason whatsoever. She sat back, taking her hands from his. "So do it. Call him and tell him how you really feel." She smiled, encouraging him to do it and he pulled his phone from his pocket. He looked up at her one last time and she nodded. "Call him." He pulled Cas' number up on phone and with one last shuddering breath he pressed send...

Notes:

So I thought this would be the last chapter. I lied. I like it so much I plan to do at least one more!

I hope everyone enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it. I had a dream last night and decided to write it out. It was fun to write. There will be more stories to come, but I'm also working on completing a full length novel AND holding down a full time job, so time has been limited. If you like it, leave kudos and comments. It gives me an idea of what you guys like to read, so I can try and tailor some of my writing. I hope you guys enjoy this last chapter as much I did writing it. I have so much love for Dean and Cas. They belong with each other.