Chapter Five

Cassandra wasn't expecting a bunker. A house, a trailer, a townhouse, anything except an underground bunker. She hesitated when she got out, reluctant to go inside. Dean saw this and started to explain. "It started out as a research facility and my brother and I have inherited it. We do research from here, but we live here to. It's become home to us. It's fully functional with a kitchen, bathrooms, shooting range, I'll give you the grand tour." His smile was so beguiling that she couldn't help but feel her fear dissipate. "Alright." She let him take her bags while Sam took the tool kits. "Do you like cars?" Dean asked as they went down the stairs into the living area. "I suppose so. I like the classics. Your car is amazing." She said. His face lit up. "Come on, I'll show you to your room and then I'll show you my favorite place here." He led her to the back hall and for a moment be debated on which bedroom to give her. The one right next to his was Cas' and he still held out hope that Cas would return. He crossed the hall to the room next to Sam's. "Here you go. I'll let you get settled. When you're ready come back out to the living room and I'll go show you the cars." There was excitement in his voice that made her smile. "Ok, sounds good." He left her alone and she looked around the room. It was very plain, no decorations at all, just a simple bed, a dresser, a nightstand with a lamp. Nothing special. She put her bags up on the dresser and fished her cell phone out of her pocket. She hadn't charged it enough last night so she pulled her charger from her bag and found an outlet in which to plug it in. She returned to the living room where Dean was standing staring down at his phone screen, a troubled look on his face. When he saw her the worry on his face faded away and he smiled. "Ready?" He asked. "Sure."

He led her down to the garage, watching her expression as she took in the vast space and the vehicles that lined every bay. "Oh my God...these are all yours?" Dean shrugged. "Technically, yes. We inherited all of them. This is where I spend a lot of my time. I'm at home in here." She could see how happy he was just standing here, how proud. "This is amazing." His smile brightened, showing a side of him that she suspected he didn't show others very often. "It is, isn't it?" A noise behind them drew their attention and they turned to see Sam standing there. "Dean's showing you his mancave, eh?" He teased. She looked over at Dean expecting him to get upset but Dean was smiling even wider. "Hell yeah!" "Come on, I'll show you the library." Sam said. Cassandra looked back at Dean who nodded. "I'll be in the kitchen. Sam will show you where that is." She gave him another smile an followed Sam out of the garage. When they were out of earshot she moved closer to Sam and lowered her voice. "So you guys just live down here? All alone?" Sam nodded. "Yeah, I mean there were more of us but we've lost a few friends over the years. We don't have many friends left anymore." There was melancholy in his voice. "I'm sorry, it's never easy to lose people you care about." She said. He gave her a smile as he pushed open the door to the library and waited for her to enter first. "This is rather impressive." She remarked as she checked out a couple of the titles on the nearest shelf. The titles were mostly not in English. "This is part of the research you guys do?" He nodded. "Yeah. I spend most of my time in here." He leaned back against one of the tables, crossing his long legs in front of him. He was unbelievably tall but leaning back like this he was only a few inches taller than her. "Dean doesn't like it in here?" She asked. "He reads when he has to. He'd rather watch movies or work on cars." Sam replied. He was watching her with interest. "You like my brother, don't you." It wasn't a question. She turned around quickly, a blush creeping up on face. "What? I mean, he helped me out when I was in trouble..." She was flustered, falling over her words and realized she sounded like a fool. "Yeah, I thought so. Dean is a good guy, but his heart is elsewhere. I'm just warning you of that." He said. She felt her stomach do a little flip. Dean had a girlfriend? He hadn't mentioned having one. "Oh, well that's ok. It's not like I was going to ask him out or anything." She said. Sam smiled. "Actually, if you wouldn't mind doing me a favor, I wish you would ask him out. He needs to get his mind off things. Maybe it will be the wakeup call he needs. And I can see that he does like you." She moved over to the table and leaned back so that she stood exactly like him. "To what, force him to either go back to her or realize it's a lost cause and move on?" Sam's smile tightened for a second. "Something like that." "I don't like being the second choice Sam, that comes with a lot of heartache." She looked up at him. "I understand, but you don't have to see him moping around here, day after day, staring at his stupid phone, too pighead to just dial the number. This is the most relaxed I've seen him in months. He likes you." He said. She did like Dean. She just didn't like the idea that he was in love with someone else. That felt like an unfair competition to her. "Were they in a relationship? Did they break up?" She asked. Sam let out a laugh, louder than he had intended. "Ha! No, things might be easier to deal with if they had at least dated, but no, they're both equally stubborn, neither one able to admit their feelings. And now, my brother just wallows in his own misery. It's irritating, to say the least." He was careful to refrain from revealing that Cas was indeed a man. He wasn't sure she'd agree if she knew that he was asking her to draw his brother's attention away from another man. She pursed her lips as she considered it. "I'll do it, but as friends. I don't need to go getting my heart broken either." She liked Dean too much to not at least take the chance. "Good. I know you're only in town for tonight, but you should take him to dinner." He suggested. She nodded. "Alright, I'll go ask him. He watched her stand up straight and smooth down her blouse before leaving the library. She really was beautiful. If his plan worked he might get a chance himself later to ask her out. If she didn't totally hate him after this.