12 // slap

madelines pov

i didn't like my new foster parents.
they're not very nice.
they haven't hurt me, at least not yet, and i don't know if they will, but the amount of chores i've been given for tomorrow is absolutely insane.
i've already been yelled at twice, all because i said i was a little tired.
i was told i'm "lazy".
and when i said i was hungry, i was told i had to "earn my food".
like ... what the hell?
whatever. after i had all of my clothes put away in the drawers, i texted taylor and told her i was at a new house.
when she asked where, i said i didn't know, and i also told her i didn't know what this new family would say if i told them i wanted to go out for the day.
honestly, they'd probably say no  i was also too scared to ask them. so, instead of going out and seeing taylor in person, we settled on a facetime call instead. i still had a lot of stuff to do with setting up my room, so i decided to facetime her while i made my bed and placed picture frames around.
"what are they like?" taylor asked as i put the fitted sheet on my mattress.
"um.." i started. "i.. i don't know." i said, not really wanting to talk about it.
i didn't want to say that they were mean people for sure, because i really didn't know. i've only known them for a few hours.
taylor rolled her eyes. "what's that supposed to mean?"
i shrugged my shoulders, and then decided to change the subject completely.
"i have another cross country meet tomorrow!" i said with some fake enthusiasm.
after that, taylor and i talked all about my cross country team and my school. we also talked about her tour and how sad it was that it was ending so soon.
a couple of hours later, i was still talking to her as she got ready to go to pre show meet and greets. she said something funny, so i laughed, but after i heard footsteps coming to my bedroom i realized that was a horrible mistake, so i turned the volume all the down on my laptop.
-
taylor's pov

"maddie, are you listening to me right now, can you hear me?" i asked while she just stared at the screen terrified.
she was just laughing a second ago.
she quickly put her laptop on the floor next to her bed and right after that, i heard the door to her bedroom swing open, and i muted myself.
"you've only been here a day and i'm already pissed at you. you said you were tired a few hours ago, but now all i can hear is loud ass laughing coming from up here." yelled a voice in the other end.
it was a guy.
then i heard a small cry come out of maddies mouth.
then the man, that i was assuming to be her foster dad, laughed.
"oh my god, you're really gonna cry? listen here you little shit, i'll give you something to cry about."
that's when i heard a loud slap and a loud cry follow.
you've got to be fucking joking.
i yelled for my security to come in and had them listen and wait for maddie to come back on.
once her foster dad left the room, maddie had her hood on her hoodie up so i couldn't see her face.
"i.. i um.. i gotta.." she said, with a small voice crack. "i gotta go." she said quietly.
"i.. but.. wai-" i started to say, but i got cut off.
she hung up.
and i was scared.
i sent her a quick text, asking what happened and if she was okay, but i didn't get an answer, just a read receipt.
maddie please answer me. i sent.
"taylor, it's time to go to meet and greets," i heard from the door.
i quickly out in a smile to hide what i was feeling and got up.
"okay!" i replied, getting up from the couch in my dressing room, making sure i took my phone with me.