Chapter 5 - Leon

'Remind me why we are here again?' I whisper to Gary as the lights on the stage in the school hall dim and Casey Summers saunters on stage to the joyous screams of females.

'Because Zoe Rose is here,' Gary whispers back, 'and I know how you feel about Summers but I personally think he is cool.'

'Great.' I sink lower into my chair thinking of a million better things I could be doing with my evening like taking some anger out on the junkyard, or avoiding my parents trying to fit me for my 'Superhero' costume.

The screams from the girls get louder as Casey smiles at them and shushes them. Eventually the noise dies down. It is some stupid publicity stunt the Nines have thought up where Casey, who only left school three years ago, goes around to loads of school and does a talk about what it is like to be a Nine. In my opinion this is just a way for Casey to boost his own ego because, let us face it, not a single one of these people sitting in the audience are ever going to be a Level Nine. Those who have not been graded yet do not stand a chance because being a Level Nine requires a certain level of power and you would not find that in a school kid. Casey was an exception of course, the rest of the Nines are pretty old, but he was discovered early on and was graded when he was only ten years old. Someone recognised his incredibly strong power and so for eight years he was taught to master his powers until he was able to officially join the Nines. Somewhere along the way someone has got it into their head that because Casey is only twenty-one he is able to relate to teenagers. But what they do not realise is that Casey is the last person someone like me could relate to, or anyone really. Especially Sapphire, who I noticed in the audience earlier. I have no idea what she is doing here, I did not even realise she knew who Casey was. I should have known better, obviously, because Casey is a world-wide public figure so that even someone like Sapphire would know who he was.

I glance in Sapphire's direction and, just like all her friends including Zoe, she is transfixed by Casey talking about his life on the stage. I feel sorry for Sapphire. After my failed attempt at teaching her to use her powers in the junkyard I decided to start with the superhuman knowledge. History and stuff like that. It is amazing how much she can learn from just reading. If I am honest I am nervous to try the practical powers stuff again in case she really does not have anything. How awful would it be to be the one to break the bad news to her? Sure, we move in different circles, but after spending a few evenings with her I feel like we are friends.

'And a lot of you are probably wondering about my personal relationship life,' Casey is saying as I drag myself back to what is going on in this god-awful evening. 'If I am honest I do not have time for relationships at the moment,' he says suavely, rubbing the golden stubble along his jaw. 'But I am sure I will have a spare minute for each and every one of you after we are done here,' he adds with a wink and of course all the girls dissolve into sighs.

The talk finishes and I tell Gary I cannot think of any worse way to spend a fiver. To my surprise Gary yanks his wallet from his pocket and shoves a five pound note into my hand an annoyed expression on his face.

'Here you go,' he snaps, 'you are clearly jealous, Leon, because Casey is a Level Nine and even you, with your superhero parents, will only ever be a Level Eight.' And then he stalks off leaving me staring after him feeling bewildered.

Gary and I have been friends for years. He would never act that way around me not even if I had seriously offended him. I would expect that kind of reaction from some twat like Kieron but not Gary. I watch as Gary goes to join the hundreds gathering around Casey. Even the guys adore him. I just do not get it. Nothing Casey said was that impressive, sure he is good looking which explains the girls' adoration of him, but Gary? A small thought niggles at the back of my mind. Did he mind-fuck them all into thinking he was amazing? Is that how he does it? Even if he did it does not explain why it had no effect on me. Then I recall something my granddad, my dad's father, told me about telepaths. They sometimes find it more difficult to exert control over other telepaths, if they are not trying too hard. Someone like Casey would not have had to try too hard to control an entire audience. My Grandad was a telepath so it could explain why Casey's simple mind trick did not work on me. 

Suddenly I am pissed off too. I watch as Casey extracts himself from his adoring fans, Gary included, and heads towards the exit. Without thinking about what I am about to do, I march towards Casey, shoving through the dwindling crowds towards the car park where Casey has just arrived in.

He is on his way to his car, his fans now lingering at the school entrance with sad looks on their faces. I follow.

'Hey! Hey, Summers!' I shout, more boldly than I feel.

Casey pauses and turns around.

I keep walking and march right up to him, grabbing him roughly by his jacket which is easy because we are the same height.

'Who the fuck do you think you are?' I snarl at him furiously. 'Mind-fucking them all into thinking you are incredible when really you are just a self-centered power-hungry idiot.'

Casey gives me a calm, loathing look that sends shivers of dread through me.

'It is telepathy, Leonardo,' he says coolly, 'and I see you have a touch of it too.'

I continue to glare at him.

'No matter,' continues Casey calmly and a second later this excruciating pain slams into my brain.

I stagger backwards, releasing Casey's coat. The pain in my head intensifies and I see Casey smiling sweetly down at me.

'Your inherited psychic abilities make it pretty hard for me to control your mind,' Casey observes thoughtfully as the pain forces me to my knees. 'But I am not a Nine for nothing.'

Dimly through the pain I realise that no one behind me is reacting and I realise it is because Casey is controlling their minds so they will think nothing is wrong. I scream in agony and I feel blood begin to trickle from my nose and ears and I know I am going to die. He is going to kill me and no one will know! I realise what I must have subconsciously known all along: that Casey Summers is not to be trusted. But the pain in my mind is so strong I can barely focus anymore.

Then I hear someone calling my name. Distant at first, then stronger and stonger then suddenly- the intense pain is gone. I am free. I gasp for air, a lingering agony aches in my mind but I know Casey has let me go. I blink rapidly wondering why and then I see Sapphire, of all people, standing in front of Casey.