Epilogue

I wake up in my bedroom in my old house. I feel refreshed and rested. Everything in my room appears to be the same as when I was last here but as I pull on my dressing gown I notice there are a few photographs up that weren't before. There's a lot of me, mum, Thom and dad. Photos from when I am very young to right now. And we're all there together, smiling. Then there's some photographs of me at the prom with Eve, Zoe and Leon. There are just photographs of me and Leon, we look pretty cosy. And then there's a photographs of me, Pixie and the other Sapphire.

So something has changed. As I make my way downstairs there is this warmth inside me that I have never felt before but I don't know where it has come from and I have no idea what's different in my life.

I pause at the bottom of the stairs. I can smell bacon. Nervously I reach into my mind and try to find Oblivion but she is gone. I notice I still have a lot of powers but they feel balanced and stable.

I follow the smell of bacon and stop short in the kitchen doorway. An odd sight greets me. Thom is sitting at the table already stuffing his face with cooked breakfast. Mum and dad are standing at the stove cooking together. Dad's arm is round mum's waist and they look so happy and in love. They glance up when I come in and smile at me. A real smile. A smile that says I love you. Next to Thom are Pixie and the other Sapphire, although they do look a bit older than the last time I saw them at the hospital. Then on the other side of the table is Leon.

'Leon came to join us for breakfast, isn't that sweet?' mum says to me, there is that smile again.

I slowly walk into the kitchen. Everything is so surreal.

'And Aunt Pixie and Aunt Saph are also here,' says Thom, his mouth full of food, 'and mum said I had to wait for you but-'

'You're always hungry, I know.' I ruffle his hair affectionately.

I take my seat opposite the 'aunts'.

'So, Aunt Pixie and Aunt Saph, eh?' I ask them. 'You found a way after all.'

Pixie and Sapphire blink at me until realisation strikes.

'Oh, so today is the day,' says Pixie.

'Today is what day?'

'The day you woke up to after you changed the future,' says Sapphire conversationally.

I can't help it I risk a glance at the rest of my family to see how they are taking this. The mother I know would have gone white and tight-lipped with anger at any talk to superhuman powers especially like changing the future. But she smiles at my sympathetically.

'Oh darling,' she says, oblivious to how she treated me before. She gives me a hug. 'Pixie and Saph said this would happen. I bet all you remember is that horrid future that thankfully never happened.'

'Something like that,' I mutter as dad slides some bacon onto my plate. Leon reaches over the table and takes my hand. I instantly feel better and less like I'm drowning.

It's going to be OK, he tells me silently and I freeze for a moment before realising I must still have mind powers but now it's different because everyone knows.

I smile gratefully at him. Everything is so different now but the most important thing is I am surrounded by people who love me and Oblivion is just a nightmare from another life.

'So,' I say to my two new 'aunts', 'what did I miss?'

'Well,' says Sapphire slowly. 'I suppose we had better fill you in from the very beginning. As in, everything.'

I must have look horrified at the thought of a long boring lesson because the other Sapphire laughs and grins.

'Once upon a time,' she says, 'before superhumans really existed, there was a young girl called Sapphire who could control the elements....'

THE END.