Chapter 31 - Sapphire

Author's Note: PLEASE NOTE! This chapter is a little gory. OK, it's actually VERY gory. I don't want to give spoilers but I do need to leave a warning. If you are faint of heart when it comes to reading about blood and stuff please avoid. Don't say I didn't warn you.

* * *

Nervously I smooth the fabric of my plain white dress and observe myself in the mirror. With my hair piled up elegantly on top of my head I look much older than I actually am. There is a knock on my dressing room door and when I call enter, Casey appears.

Last night he took me to meet Sion, Toxcys and Nightmare. I could tell Casey was anxious somehow for my approval on the army he had formed and that Sion was not overly happy to see me. Apparently, according to Casey, it has something to do with Sion's precognition abilities. This is something I would very much like to have but when I voiced this out loud Casey pointed out that was bad manners so I did not get a chance to acquire Sion's powers. Radiation and biological manipulation are rather unsavoury abilities so I steered clear of touching Toxcys or Nightmare. I have a hard enough time attempting to control all my other powers, never mind accidentally giving someone radiation poisoning!

'Ready?' Casey asks me because I am about to take a huge step into the unknown.

Currently Marianne and the other Nines are on the stage at Hero's Square, announcing to the media associates, reporters and people of importance gathered there what they are here to celebrate. When she gives the signal I will present myself to the stage, officially announced as a Nine. Except this will not happen because before Marianne can announce me, Toxcys and Nightmare will attack. Casey and I will use their distraction, and some of Casey's army members, to attack the Nines. It will be difficult because I have to use Rhian's shapeshifting abilities to disguise myself and Casey as other people whilst turning two random objects into us at the same time. It's going to be a challenge, but Casey says he believes in me.

'Yeah.' I take his outstretched arm and we leave the dressing room, walking past the many security guards around us as though everything in the world is normal.

We approach the stage from behind and I start to hear Marianne's speech:

'...and that honour is not bestowed upon many, but those who carry it do so with dignity and selflessness.'

'It's nearly time,' Casey whispers to me as we round the corner to where the stairs will take me onto the stage. From my position I am hidden from the audience but I can see them. There are hundreds of reporters, cameras everywhere and many people of importance.

'The mayor is here!' I tell Casey, feeling the fear creep into my voice.

'It's OK,' Casey tells me, 'Toxcys and Nightmare are only going to cause a diversion, they're not going to actually kill people.'

'You say that,' I mutter, 'but you know what they're like.'

'They have their orders,' Casey tells me.

I listen with my mind to the crowd rather than look at them, it is easier that way. Among them there are humans and superhumans alike. A lot of people there are excited, but there are also some who are bored thinking about the other more interesting stories they could be covering, like the armoured suits attacks, than just another boring Nine. And there are some thoughts filled with bitterness and hatred towards the Nines. A sharp growing poison that is directed at us.