Chapter 3: The Gift

-25th December 1885-

Venus flicked his wand silently. He held up two golden leaves. Perfect for healing and can heal anything (besides death). They were super rare. It was 1000 silver leaves combined into one, and those were hard enough to get one. He knew time was running out he placed it into his pocket and slept. 

"Dragon!" The two gave a hug. 

"Hey, Doe! I got you a Christmas present!" Venus smiled. 

"I got you one first!" Venus gave his box to Draco and took his box. The two opened their boxes eagerly. Venus smiled when he picked up a silver and emerald watch. Draco picked up the gold leaf in awe. 

"Thanks for the watch! Though, I haven't come of age yet." Venus said, clasping the watch onto his left wrist. Draco smiled. 

"You're as mature as anyone could be! And thanks for the leaf!" Venus smiled and placed the leaf into Draco's hair. 

"It will start glowing if I'm in danger or if I'm near. I have one too. Only you can take it off. Mine does the same. So if we ever separate, we still have a piece of each other." Venus placed his leaf into his long hair and smiled. Draco hugged Venus tightly. Venus hugged back and when Draco wasn't looking, gave a sad smile. The two let go and began do their last lesson, unknown to Draco. The two had the time of their lives playing in the snow, Draco bid goodbye. Venus gave him a goodbye hug. Draco walked away to the Manor. 

Draco played with Pansy and Blaise and had a great time. He kept on looking at the forest longingly. They had a great Christmas feast. 

Draco flopped onto his bed and touched his gold leaf fondly. He pulled the covers over his body and dozed off, dreaming of dragons and does playing in the starry night, next to the Draco constellation and later, Venus. 

-27th December 1985- 

Draco eagerly got dressed.  He threw on his winter robes and went downstairs for breakfast. He ate with Pansy and Blaise before waving goodbye. Draco put up his hood and placed a warming charm on his cloak before running off to the door.

"Going somewhere?" Draco flinched and turned around. Lucius was glaring at Draco

"Just the garden. I believe Edelweisses are in bloom in winter. I just wanted to go see them." Draco lied easily. 

"Alright..." Lucius left the entrance hall. Draco slipped on his boots and walked out to the garden and picked some of the flowers. He skipped off to the forest. He froze halfway. The forest had been replaced with a Quidditch Pitch. Draco's heart shattered into a million pieces. 

Flashback

Draco skipped back into the Manor and began eating dinner. Lucius looked at Draco. "How do you feel if we replace the forest with a Quidditch Pitch?" Draco, not hearing properly thought he said: "How are you feeling now?"

"Great!"  

EoF

"N-No... He ran towards the Quidditch Pitch to see if there was anything left of the forest. He blinked away tears when he saw no trees. Draco twirled his wand and touch his gold leaf. That was the last gift. Venus had been acting a little weird. Draco now knew why. He knew, but he just wanted Draco to be happy. Not being able to contain it anymore, Draco broke down, sinking into the snow. He fell onto his knees and cried. He passed out in the snow. Unaware of what was happening, his gold leaf shining uncontrollably. 

Draco groaned and turned over. 'Why does it feel so warm? I thought I was outside in the snow?' Draco felt around. He felt his covers. He bolted upwards. How did he get into his room? Draco ran downstairs but was stopped by Dobby. 

"Is Master Draco ok?" Dobby asked. Draco nodded in response. 

"Master, there was a black-haired girl! She called Dobby and told Dobby go and help her carry Master Draco back to Malfoy Manor." Draco's eyes lit up. Maybe Venus was still here?

"Where is she Dobby?!" Dobby frowned. 

"She popped. She gone." Draco burst into tears and ran upstairs. Dobby started banging his head on the wall muttering 'Bad Dobby!'. 

Draco threw his wand and caught it before repeating. He looked t the Quidditch Pitch with anger. It was his fault Venus was gone. And Venus knew. Why didn't he tell him? Was it because he didn't trust him? Or was it because he didn't want to ruin his day? That was his first Christmas. Draco went with the second option and wiped his tears. He decided to take a nap. The dream was like a nightmare. The doe and the dragon were dancing around the Draco constellation. Then, Venus came and the doe disappeared. 

Draco woke up panting. He sobbed again. He opened his window and threw a rock in the direction of the Quidditch Pitch in bitter anger. The rock looked like a sphere, and the planet Venus flickered before disappearing. Draco closed the window and kicked his bed. He whimpered when he foot collided with the frame. Today was just not his day, was it?