"He's not known for his friendliness." I tried to pass the comment off as a sarcastic joke but all that tumbled out of my mouth was sheer bitterness.

"You above all others understand that." He sighed, shifting his dark eyes down to his hands. "There are certain... aspects of your upbringing that I disagree with. But, we had an agreement, which I thought you'd be pleased with."

"Agreement?" I tilted my head to the side. My father never mentioned any agreements with the Northern territory, particularly any that involved me.

Being such a great, open source site of public information that he is.

I rolled my eyes at the thought.

"You and Lucus," Faelon stated simply, clasping his hands over his desk.

I tried not to let my face fall in dismay at his response.

Oh, that agreement.

"Even if you aren't the Moon Goddess' natural choice, you are the right one. You belong here, Zara, within a family." His words, one in particular, hit me hard. Striking a deep nerve, I swallowed against the dryness creeping up the back of my throat.

Family.

Tears rose in my eyes because they were the embodiment of a family. Not Lucus and Raina, he was offering his entire pack to me. The weight of that responsibility sank in my stomach like a pile of bricks.

I don't deserve it, not after attacking them.

"Alpha Faelon..." My words choked in my throat as my eyes filled up with tears. "I'm so sorry about what happened. Your pack has been nothing but accommodating, and I-"

"Wolves are notoriously difficult to control within the first few months," he interrupted with a firm but knowing smile. "No one here thinks it was intentional, including Idris and Arlo."

I didn't answer, only pressed my mouth closed.

"Cassius would be angry to hear this but Lumi's suppression is another area where your father and I disagree." He looked at me intently, as if he demanded that I not share this information with anyone else.

Yet, he also wore a look deeper look, which furrowed his expression into wrinkles that aged his appearance.

I can't read it... Sympathy, mixed with... guilt? Remorse?

"I won't say anything," I whispered.

He seemed to believe me, since the lines of concern etching his expression relaxed. He glanced out the windows and remained silent for a few moments. 

During his silence, reality hit me.

But I'm not Lucus' choice.

"Like any alpha..." He shifted his gaze away from the windows and looked at me. "I want to protect my pack, which I hope will include you some day."

"Protection? From what?" I assumed general security and protection was his answer, but wanted to hear his words.

What he said next was further than what I imagined, "Your father."

"My-my -" I stammered nervously at what Alpha Faelon implied. I didn't have much chance to dwell on this. His eyes snapped from my face to somewhere behind him, and he smiled. I turned around and saw -

He thinks... my father is a... threat!? No, not a threat. The biggest threat.

I didn't have much chance to dwell on this. His eyes snapped from my face to over my shoulder, and he smiled. I turned around and saw -