Once in a lifetime

Start from the beginning

There's this group who called themselves "Bright's wives" who are always present when I'm performing at different bars.

Like the usual, I played and the girls are either screaming or eerily quiet, depending on the song that I'm playing.

Halfway thru my performance when I saw a familiar face enter the bar and sat at the VIP table. He's not here to watch the show but to observe me and I know that I have no choice but to go to him after I'm done playing.

"You are really good and quite popular with the girls" he said as soon as I sat in front of him.

There are food and drinks on his table but all of it are untouched.

"Hi Sir" I said to Win's dad.

"Eat" he said, his voice emotionless which made me more nervous.

I'm sure that Win doesn't know that his dad is here and I wonder why he paid me an unexpected visit.

"Is Win around?" I asked him though I already know the answer.

I didn't touch the food he's offering me. I was hungry a while ago but the presence of Win's dad is really scaring the hell out of me.

"I'll cut to the chase Bright. What do you want so you'll leave my son alone?"

"I uh.. I.."

"One million baht, just don't show your face to Win after this"

This guy is not just offering me money but he is insulting my pride.

"Not enough? Name your price Bright. Put any amount you desire there" Win's dad handed me a blank check after I didn't answer his initial offer.

"With all due respect Sir, but I can't do that" I look straight into his eyes.

"What can you offer my son? You're just some musician working in a nameless bar" he said insulting me even further.

If only he is not Win's dad I would have punch him on the spot and I don't care even if I land in jail.

"Your son is a very simple guy. He's very different to all the rich people I know. I can't offer him any money but I can promise you that I will take care of him" I gently push back the check back to him.

"I don't know if Win told you what happened to him before but I can't afford to see my son hurting like that ever again. So please leave him if you have other intention"

I flashback to my conversation with Win last night about his ex boyfriend and I saw how much that guy hurt him.

"Leave him? I can't bear the idea of my life without him"

"You remind me of Chase, Win's ex boyfriend. He's a musician too. In the end, he chose to leave my son saying that he found someone else"

"I'm glad that he left Win because if he didn't then I wouldn't met your son. I'm not Chase sir. Unless Win doesnt want me anymore, then I'm here to stay"

Win's dad became silent for a few seconds then he burst out in laughter which made some people in the bar look at our direction.

"You passed the test Bright" he said still laughing

"Test?" I said confused

"Sorry, did I make you nervous? I'm just testing you son"

"You scare the crap out of me" I said and reached out for the glass of water and drink it in one gulp.

"Go and eat. You look really pale" he said to me still smiling.

I ignore Win's dad and begun munching on the food in the table.