Fiona was quick to apologize, but Sway waved her apologies away.

"No matter. I was waiting for you." He winked. "The small ilor as well. I let her go up to your room, so I'll make it snappy. It may prove useful for your petition." He leaned forwards, balancing his chin on his clasped knuckles. "Do you know about millennia stillwater?"

Stillwater was a central tenet of magic. She shifted her bag slung over her shoulder. "Is it as it sounds? Stillwater kept for a thousand years?"

Sway nodded seriously. "In the folkway, sources of stillwater are something of a well-known secret. Rumors say they were started even before the formation of the folkway itself. There are known eight locations within Subterra. As luck would have it, there is a source just outside Faersidda."

She said nothing. There had to be a catch. It seemed unlikely that such a precious finite resource would be simply available.

Sway guffawed, then straightened. "It is practically the stuff of storybook tales. The Marshwump belongs to a crotchety old witch. She is yor Magus, the former mor Magus of Faersidda. Yubi Deerbone. Take care, sor---she may just bite your head off."

As Fiona trudged up the steps to her room, her many packages balanced in her arms, she weighed the risks and benefits of visiting the Marshwump. Her own stillwater had been made from creek-drawn water, then left on a sill for a few days. Back at the university, senior students had access to a reservoir of half-cant. Water that had been kept still for fifty years. Most families had their own well of stillwater, some of which had been kept for centuries, set aside for special occasions. A drop of millenia stillwater, if it had truly been left for a thousand years, would be more potent than an entire river. She shivered at the prospect.

However, it was a gamble. Sway had told her approximately where Yubi's Marshwump was, and she would likely have to dedicate two or three Shades to the endeavor---about five hours. That was if Yubi agreed to let her use the millenia stillwater. There were still other aspects to consider. For example, earning the goodwill of the former mor Magus could prove a boon to her. Then again, was that in the realm of possibility, given Sway's description of her?

Fiona had not reached a decision when she pushed opened her door. Suli seated in a plush chair, reading a slender volume entitled Lifia and the 8 Steps.

"What's that?" Fiona asked, letting her toppling tower of packages tumble into a pile in the corner of her room.

"I have yet to suffer the death of a close friend," Suli replied, tipping the book closed. She crossed the room and helped her stack the boxes neatly. "I'm not sure how I must react."

Fiona turned away and hung her cloak on the rack, buying herself time. "I wish there was a better way."

"Me too."

Silence lingered like a humid summer night. She sat on the rug, hugging her knees to her chest.

After a moment, Suli joined her on the floor, pulling out her block flit. "Time for practice. If you want to be in on the goings on, that is."

Together, they worked through the base elements of the cipher, until Fiona could do all the letters in order, then fit two or three together into basic words. Then the pair sent these back and forth, progressively using longer and longer words. Receiving a signal was much the same as sending one---the same three sides would receive the pattern of presses as clicks or vibrations, depending on the preferred mode. It was difficult work, but Fiona felt confident she could manage passable use of the cipher with enough practice.

As they passed messages back and forth, Fiona asked about her opinion on Yubi.

"I like yor Magus," said Suli, her chin thrust forward. "She nominated me for ilor." The flit pulsed under her fingers. Whatever she had signaled Fiona was not able to catch. "But not everyone does. They feel she is too stingy with her water."

"Innit her stillwater?"

"It is." The young girl traced one edge of the cube with a petite finger. Then she said, "I s'pose folk feel entitled to it. She was mor Magus after all."

Fiona filed this information away. If she chose to visit Yubi, it would not be for stillwater, then. Still, there could be merit in other ways. She had gotten this far with tree roots and shells and glass charms. She felt what she needed now was information, more so than base ingredients for magickery.

"Miss Fi?"

When she looked up, Suli's lower lip was trembling. She reached out a hand, then stopped. Was such a gesture still appropriate between them? Suli was a young witch but not exactly a child. But the little ilor took the offered hand, enveloping it in her smaller ones.

"I get it, but I don't," she said in a wavering voice. "Why must we hurt Enjo?"