|...ʏօʊ aռɖ ɨ ʊռtɨʟ ɖɛatɦ taҡɛs ʍɛ awaʏ...|

Winter
Brennan Woods

If you walk in one direction long enough you will end up right where you started.

➶➶ҡɛɨʀa➷➷

    The woods normally made me feel safe, warm, and at home. Not tonight, not after what I had seen and what They had done. Run, my mother's terror and hopeless filled words drove an internal knife into my heart over and over again, run Keira, run. Tonight the woods frightened me, tonight, as I ran as fast as my paws could take me, I had a feeling the woods would be my final resting place if They found me.

    "M-mother," I called out to her with my mind. My heart clenched and silent streams of tears began to fall against my leaf brown fur when there was not an answer. She was gone. My mother and father were gone. I wanted to call out to my father, but there was only one way my mother could be dead and that would be if Father had fallen. As long as he was alive, no harm would come to us or our village. They were gone, all gone.

    In just a matter of hours, I had been orphaned. Where would a young female werewolf run to with no pack? Nowhere, that's were. I would end up dying in these woods, all alone. They would find me, and they would most certainly kill me.

    Before I could register what my tired body was doing, my paws had stopped and my front legs slowly drew into my body. I curled up in the middle of the ground and layed my head on my paws in defeat. If They wanted me dead, they could have me. The war had gone on too long and tonight they had fought dirty; tonight they did not fight with honor as was a silent code between the werewolves. Tonight they had slithered into our territory, murdered our guards, and slaughtered every family in every house of the territory. If there were any survivors then they could flee to one of our alliance's packs. I, on the other hand, did not yearn for life anymore. My heavy eyes closed on their own and I was thrown into an endless nightmare of fire and screams.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

    The next morning I awoke and began traveling as far away from my nightmares as possible, where to I still didn't know. I kept my eyes and ears open trying to see if I could hear or smell anything that said breakfast. My stomach was so empty that it felt like it was trying to eat itself.

    A refreshing scent trailed through the gentle breeze and I cocked my ears in the direction of the smell. Water. I could last many days without food; without water I wouldn't last more than two or three days.

    I let my nose guide me to a small creek. A lone frog leapt into the pond at my approach causing droplets of water to dot my muzzle. My paws dampened from the water as I greedily lapped at the water.

    My body took in the much needed water and I felt my throat re-hydrate allowing my body to regain some much needed energy. God knows that I will need every ounce I can muster, I didn't have much life left but I concluded that I could trudge on for just a few more days.

    Lifting my head from the gentle stream, I caught sight of a pair of forest green eyes piercing into my brown ones. I was too startled to move, too startled to run away from the largest and blackest wolf that I had ever seen.

    Across the creek he stood, watching like one would watch prey. I had not even caught wind of the wolf's scent--ah, there it is. The wind changed and the steady breeze brought with it a masculine scent filled with power and strength. It was a frightening scent and was purely male, its scent was perfectly crafted for this intimidating creature.

    I was broken from my hypnotized state when he began to walk towards me from across the creek. The water reached just above his wide paws and he moved with such grace that it seemed as if he were floating across the water. He was coming for me and would most likely kill me. The need to flee overpowered the fight instinct in my body, yet my body neglected my mind's words when told to run.