Chapter 17: Ryan Juniper Amber

[Marcus POV]

I'm sweating. This man is in front of me. Must do something normal. Must do something normal. But what is normal?

I should not know this man right? Or not?

Think me

Marcus never care for something beneath him then he doesn't need to know the name of a mere third placer, right?

"Who are you to speak like that to me?" I raised an eyebrow to him. My acting was good right? Just let me deceive you please!

He pointed his name on the bulletin board, "You really have an unpleasant personality as what others say. Im that third placer of the whole first year, Ryan Juniper Amber."

He took the bait!

"O-oh.. Is that so? I don't really care for people who are dumber than me, you know?"

He drew his face close to me, "I really have something for those rude rich people, you know? I'll let you know that I despise those people who abuses their power and be scornful to everyone". He pointed at me and whispered at my ear, "like you"

I pulled back. Damn, what should I do? I might dug my own grave if I retort back. As I think of what I should say, I heard a voice behind me.

"Hey Marcus. You are really smart, you know? You managed to outstand Skyler's grade. Hmm.. What's wrong? you look a little pale. Are you sick? Do you want to go to infirmary? I'll escort you"

Rick suddenly bombarded me with questions, before I answered back, he suddenly held my shoulder tightly and turned me away from Juniper. I can't see Rick because he lightly pushed me but did he just clicked his tongue at Juniper?

My words got stuck on my throat but somehow I felt thankful that Rick was there for me.

--

He's behind me while his hands was still on my shoulders as we walked towards the infirmary that other people might thought that we are playing a mimicry of train. I silently let out a snicker, I wonder what happen that made Rick act like this? Before I knew it, we are now in front of the infirmary and he let go of my shoulders to open the door

"Are you hurt again, Mr. Vermillion?"
The nurse who was treated me before asked me while assorting her medical files.

Rick answered her question for me, "He isn't ma'am, but I think he has a fever since he is a little pale."

"Oh my. Is that so? Then please sit here and I'll do a check-up for you" She stood up and searched for some apparatus.

Rick looks at me and smiled,"Then, Skyler and I will be at the classroom. I gotta go bye!" He ran outside the infirmary and left me alone with the nurse and as expected, she diagnosed me with no fever.

I apologized since I troubled her and I went immediately to my classroom.

I was climbing up the stairs when suddenly a wooden plank fell above me but I immediately dodged it and fell on my butt. When I looked up, I saw a twin tailed woman who ran in an instant when she saw that I didn't got hit.

I stood up and chase her until I got to the rooftop but I didn't see anyone there. I checked the place, every nook and cranny but still failed. If I am not wrong then that person must be Melissa, but I didn't do any wrongful act against her. Man, I just met her once so what's with that? Why am I experiencing these harassments?

I might get an injury if that plank crashed on my head. Can they just let me live until second year?  I'm not a criminal goddamnit! One of these days, someone will really kill me on my sleep. I shivered at that thought.
Without delay, I went down to where Skyler was knowing that my efforts went in vain.

---

"You're finally here. We are talking about the deal, hey Skyler won this time!" Rick said to me.

I sat down, rested my head on top rail of chair's back support while catching up my breath, "Yeah yeah"

Skyler raised his eyebrow as he sees me in this kind of state, " I thought you have a fever based on what Rick said to me? Why are you sweating too much?"

"I don't have fever. I felt like I spoiled my body too much so I ran" I made up an excuse while huffing. Damn, I can have more information if I just caught her back there.

"You are too strict!" Skyler retorted back.

I ignored Skyler and look at the person beside him. "What's that earlier, Rick?"

"Oh. That deal of yours and Skyler, he won this time so you should go to his celebration"

I rolled my eyes, " I think I should go, right?"

"You must go!" Rick suddenly shout, "I don't know anyone there except you and Skyler."

I let out an exasperated sigh, knowing that my refusal will be rejected, "Did I just became your babysitter? Fine do whatever you want"

---

Many weeks has passed since that day.  Right now, the domain of Vermillion busied themselves to maintain our respectable demeanor when we reach the place. I was reading a book when my mother called and dragged me.

My mother frowned at me but it didn't lose her beauty at all and handed me a new set of clothes again,"My Marcus~ why did you left me? We're not yet done you know? This suit is perfect. Now wear it" She pushed me inside the dressing room.

"Is it perfect this time, Mom?" I stared at the 20th suit that I will be wearing, If ever I was given a chance between this or sniff a reeking smell then maybe I'll choose the latter.

She answered me with that scary glare of hers, "Don't make a fuss and just.wear.it"

My mother won't just let me escape. I need a support from my father but when I looked him at his eyes hoping that he would stop my agony, he returned a defeated kind of stare along with three different suits hanging on his arm. I see now — so he is another victim, my companion, the one who will be at my side when this storm ends.

We shared that moment of time, without uttering a single word we both knew that our fates have been sealed so I just smiled when I close the door of dressing room because right now.

I learned that there is a force that you can never win no matter what.