-36-

Not edited.

Anna sat thinking about what Ben said. Did she not have to marry Damon after all? Did she want to? No she didn't.. did she? This past month with him was... different. Different from anything she'd ever known.

There were times when he was sweet and made her feel like she was a princess. He even backed off on his request of her making breakfast for him every morning after she started coming home from school and needing to sleep. When he realised he actually apologised. It was that moment that had her looking at him differently. She wasn't in love with him but... she cared.

Whatever was going on between them it was comfortable. He was still domineering at times and that scared her. It was those times when she felt like she was back with him and reacted like he expected her to, although with Damon she was allowed to speak. That surprised her. Good girls... obedient girls... were seen but not heard and Damon wanted an obedient girl... this was so confusing!

She liked knowing that there was someone in the house with her of a night. Her father was always away and she'd stay with Red but there were times when he was gone just for the night and she was alone. She never slept on those nights. The sounds from the house scared her. It was like the walls were moving but with Damon in the house they didn't move nearly as much. She slept more in this last month than the whole of the past year.

Maybe she wouldn't marry Damon but just become house mates? Would he want that or would he run off once all this was finished? He made her feel safe; safer than anyone else.

"Anna?"

She pulled herself out of her thoughts to see Maxon standing a few feet away.

"Are you ok?" he asked.

She nodded "Yep. Just wish it was all over."

Maxon nodded in understanding.

"If you're not busy Damon would like to see you" he chuckled "well actually he didn't say anything but it's easy to tell that he needs to spend some time with you."

"Really?" she asked surprised.

"You'll come to understand my brother better once you're married and this is behind us all. Just trust me, he needs to see that you're ok."

Strange!  Maybe he... no.

"Where is he?"

"In the office. Lucas and your Dad are taking a hammer to the wall in the cellar."

Anna cringed.

"Oh god Anna... I'm sorry..."

She shook her head "It's better to be open about it. There's been too many secrets already."

"Does that mean you'll tell Damon where Gregory's waiting?"

"I'm going to try."

Maxon smiled "Good enough... now go."

He watched the young lady walk out of the room knowing that one of Lucas' men was guarding the hall and he turned to look at Red as she slept on the fold out bed. Damn she was even more gorgeous in her sleep and he openly ogled the swell of her arse as she lay on her stomach.

The cough he heard was one of a big brother catching out someone looking at his baby sister anf he looked around wide eyed at Ben.

"Don't fucking hurt her."

"Never."