Let's just say I'm worried

"Hi babe" i heard Sarah saying while opening the door I signaled her I was on the phone and made a heart shape with my hands to greet her and proceeded the phone call.
She looked at me weirdly when she heard me speaking a language that wasn't familiar to her. She had become really used to hear me talking to my parents in Italian but she didn't know I knew other languages.
When the phone call was finally over I went into the kitchen and there I found them, the two most important women of my life, Sarah and Vanessa.
"Hi babies! how are you?" I said giving a hug and a big kiss on Vanessa's cheek.
"We're good" she said chuckling because I always found a way to tickle her when I hugged her.
"We're good babe, what the hell was that? Like Spanish something like that?" Sarah asked while I was busy hugging her from behind while she was cutting some vegetables.
"Portuguese" I said.
"Who were you talking too?" She asked.
"A colleague in Brasil" I said.
"A man or a woman?" She asked seriously now.
"Sarah... a man, but please... why?"
"Uh better safe then sorry" she said winking to Vanessa who nodded.
"Uh I see what's going on here" i said looking at both of them "you don't really need any more time together" I said giggling.
"We like it way more when you're with us" Sarah said.
"I know, because I can make delicious meals from scratch" I said taking control of the kitchen.
"Yes this is one of the reasons for sure" they agreed.
"So baby girl how's it going? How are you feeling?" I asked Vanessa because she had been home with us for a few days now after she was able to leave the hospital and I was so scared, I looked at her like she was made of paper and I was constantly checking on her.
"I'm feeling great" she said "plus me and Sarah discovered something this morning while she was helping me getting ready..." she said obviously waiting for me to ask what it was.
"Ok then tell me too I wanna know baby"
"Look" she said taking off her wig showing a little thin light brown hair growing back on her head.
"Oh baby this is amazing" I said, my eyes filling with tears of joy and that brought my attention back to what I was doing "this is a really good sign you're getting stronger, you'll be okay"
"I know, we will all be fine" she said.
"Of course we will" Sarah agreed and I thanked her mentally because i could just nod my head in agreement to prevent my voice from breaking if I tried to say something.
Time went by fast, I heard every little detail about their days until that moment while I was cooking lunch. That was one of the first times that we had actually felt like a real family.
We had lunch together then I led Vanessa to her room to get her into bed as she was feeling tired.
"Sylvia" she said while I was tucking the covers under her bed.
"Uh?" I responded
"I could never sleep at the hospital..."
"Well now you're here, do you have trouble sleeping here too?" I said adjusting little chunks of hair framing her face.
"No, I sleep very well here because I'm not scared anymore. I was always scared when I was there, I felt alone everyday. Thank you for stopping this, I'm so happy now and I love you so much, you and Sarah" she said with her eyes shiny from the tears that had formed.
"We lo you too, you don't have to thank us, we save each other baby girl, I want you to always feel at home with us, I promise you I will do anything for you and I won't let anyone or anything hurt you again." I told her, she nodded and smiled at me "alright now get to sleep uh? we're going to be downstairs if you need us" I said smiling.
"Okay" she yawned.
"Ok sleep tight" I said pressing a kiss on her forehead. I got up the bed and left the room leaving the door half the way closed.
"Is everything okay babe?" Sarah asked from the couch.
"Yes, yes everything is fine" I said sitting next to her.
She looked at me "you look strange babe what is going on?" She said closing the book in her hand to focus on me.
"No babe I'm okay it's just Vanessa told me she could never sleep well at the hospital but now she's happy and she thanked me for what we did for her and it just upset me how much she had to go through all alone" I explained.
"She is such a sweet child I think we couldn't have been luckier baby, we will protect her and we'll do anything we can for her" she said hugging me when I rested my head on her shoulder.
"Yep that's what I told her, but thank you for confirming it, I need to know you still think we did the right thing because she told me she loves you" i knew that would've made her smile.
"She did? Damn I love her too, I love you too, I am filled with love it feels so amazing all the time" she said.
"Does it?" I wanted to know more.
"Of course, after we broke up, a year passed but I thought of you everyday, time passed and I was still stuck on the same page, I am so glad we met again that night, that night saved my life" she said and took a deep breath "I mean I thought you were dead but here you are, less than a year later we have a little girl sleeping in our house, it all went by so fast that I never got the chance to stop to tell you, but you and that child saved me from a very dark place" she said.
"We all saved each other in some ways, we love each other truly and that's what makes us a family, I know that for sure" I said placing a kiss on the side of her neck.
"We're a family" she said in a dreamy tone.
I was about to ask her what she was thinking about but I never had the chance because my phone rang and I answered quickly trying to avoid waking Vanessa up.
"Hello?" I said lying down with my head on Sarah's thigh.
"Sylvia, is there anyway you know French?" Doctor Lowen asked from the other side of the phone.
"Yes but why?" I asked.
"Dr Price, you remember my virologist friend... he received a report from France on a rare case, they don't know what this is yet, but the whole chart and every other information are in French so he needs someone to traduce it for him, do you think you could do it if I sent you the files?" She asked.
"Yes, of course but what is this really? First Brasil, now France, what is going on? I don't know every language spoken around the world so I won't be able to help you anymore at some point" I said getting up from Sarah's lap.
"We don't know, he hopes he'll find out more from them than from Brasil" she said even though I didn't like how her voice sounded.
"Are you scared?" I asked directly.
"It's too soon yet, let's just say I'm worried, for now" she said "I sent you everything, check you email and then call me back when you read it"
"Fine, we will talk later" I said closing the call and picking up my computer from my purse.
"What is it?" Sarah asked.
"Just work babe" i said "Dr Lowen needs a hand with some documents in French" I explained.
"English, Italian, French, Portuguese... you amaze me everyday babe" she said pressing a kiss on my lips.
"Thank you babe" I said.
"I'll let you work" she said going back to her book while I sunk into all those pages of French hospital procedures.
I went on working all afternoon until it was past the time of dinner and I had lost track of where Sarah and Vanessa were. I was impatiently trying to finish reading the page before I went looking for them until my phone rang.
"Hey B" I answered.
"Hey, did you read it? Lowen is pressing on me to get answers from you so please tell me you have answers" she said in a begging exhausted tone.
"Yes I'm almost done, but I'm worried B, really"
"Why? What is it?" She asked.
"I don't know, I mean apparently they don't know either, I'm going to talk to Price first thing in the morning." I said.
"Ok I'll tell her that, hope it will be enough" she responded.
"Ok, I'll call her and talk to her too, just in case" I said "I have to go B, goodnight" I said.
"Goodnight" she hung up.
I shut my laptop and stayed there on the sofa, something was wrong, I had grown so accustomed to that feeling that I could almost smell trouble before it even arrived.
Anyway I was going to play it cool for now and spend a lovely evening with my family.
"Sarah, Vanessa were are you?" I said.
"Up here" Vanessa said probably from her room so I joined them and when I open the door I found something magical.
Vanessa was doing Sarah's make up and it was a very... artistic one, she had blue eyeshadow for lipstick and a bunch of other colorful stuff around her face. She was looking at me smiling, I didn't know a kid could make her tolerate this.
"Am I beautiful babe?" She asked but trying not to move her lips so it came out confused.
"Do you like it?" Vanessa asked looking at me with her big brown eyes.
"Sure.. absolutely, you look amazing babe, everybody's eyes would be pinned on you if you were on a red carpet" I said and smiled a little, she chuckled.
"Can I add something special?" I asked Vanessa.
"Yes"
"Thank you" I said taking a black eye pencil, Sarah was anxiously looking at me. I draw some little hearts on her cheek and her nose. We all laughed but Vanessa seemed to think it looked good because she wanted to draw the hearts on the other cheek herself.
"I will have my revenge honey, wait and see" she said taking my hand with hers and I kissed the back of it.
"I'm waiting for you" I winked.
"Okay baby now it's time for me to take off the make up because it's already late and almost time to go to bed okay?" She said and Vanessa nodded sadly.
"Are you hungry baby? You wanna help me make dinner while Sarah takes off her make up?" I said because I knew she loved feeling like she was helping us even with the little things like making dinner. I started to arrange everything for dinner while Vanessa was setting the table for the three of us.
Sarah came down shortly after, she had changed in her pajama and came to sit on one of the stalls at the kitchen counter while I was cooking for us.
I briefly looked at her and gave her a smile, she smiled back, she looked glowing.
"You look happy babe, what is it that makes you so happy?" I asked.
"I'm happy, I love spending time with her..."
"I'M GOING TO WASH MY HANDS" Vanessa yelling from the other room interrupted her.
"GOOD GIRL, DINNER'S ALMOST READY" I said back "I'm sorry you were saying, honey..." I said to Sarah.
"Just that I love spending time with her, it always makes me go to bed happy. We could've been happy anyway I know we could, but it's so different with her. She makes being a parent fun, it doesn't bother me if she doesn't call me mum, I just love that she actually wants to hangout with me, she wants to spend time with me. I never thought I was capable of this and to be honest I wasn't sure when I agreed to this but now I feel blessed and I realized that there's nothing I can't do as long as we do it together" she said like she was thinking out loud to herself but those words warmed my heart at the point I was almost ruining our dinner because I was distracted but managed to save it in time.
"Thank you for telling me this, it is important to me that you are happy because I am too because this has been one hell of a ride but we are finally working out and it feels great, I love you Sarah"
"I love you too Sylvia" she said leaning to give me a kiss but we stopped when the door opened.
"Uh sorry" Vanessa's voice said "I didn't mean to interrupt" she said with a guilty smile
"It's okay baby" Sarah chuckled
"Yup, dinner's ready, let's go!" I announced.
We all enjoyed our meal and our time together, we talked, laughed, Vanessa loved to hear what we had done at work since she was basically at home all the day because she wasn't back to school yet and mostly she loved to hear what sarah did on set and she listened to her carefully absorbing everything.
After dinner we watched the TV together in mine and Sarah's room until eventually the fell asleep and I was left alone watching the TV.
That night right after I turned the TV off and I was about to figure out how to take Vanessa out of our bed but avoiding waking her up when my phone rang. I instantly grabbed it and answered the call while getting out of the room as fast as I could and fortunately I didn't wake them up.
"Sylvia..." Doctor Lowen said.
"Yes, what's happening? Is everything okay? It's half past midnight and I'm not even on call" I whispered-yelled.
"No or I wouldn't need to call you, you have to come, I wouldn't ask if it wasn't important"
"Okay, but what is it?"
"We'll discuss it once you're here" she said and she wasn't intentioned to tell me so I agreed and closed the phone call. She had got me worried now, but I couldn't overthink, I only hoped it wasn't Vanessa's health.
I dressed up with the first things I found in the dark, I left a note on Sarah's nightstand 'I'm sorry I had to go to work, it was urgent, I'll call as soon as I can in the morning but text me when you wake up cause I don't want to wake you' and then I left for the hospital.

Hiiii it's been a while since I had published an update so I hope you enjoyed it and that you're looking forward to discovering what's going to happen. Let me know what you think, whether you liked it or not as usual in the comments or with votes, thank you for sticking around up to this point. Once again, stay safe. 💗