CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR - THE PENDANT

Marigold didn't bother to requip out of her casual clothes as she passed the hallways of Mercurius. Many of the guards stared at her in shock and wonder. She had left the palace merely a few hours ago. Less than twenty four hours ago. And here she was, back with no more than a few scratches and bruises.

Like before, Marigold ignored the stares that followed her as she made her way towards the throne room like she always does. She was taken by surprise when she was pulled aside by the Chief of the Cherry Blossom Holy Knight Squadron, Arcadios.

She glared at the tall, muscular man in front of her. Marigold never liked the man in the first place. "What do you want?"

"Why are you back here so early?" Arcadios hissed.

"Asshole. I've finished my mission. I intend to get the reward and go home." Marigold scoffed. "Just because you are incapable of wiping the floor with those dumbasses faces, doesn't mean I'm not. So if you would, I would like to go." 

Marigold didn't wait for a response and stalked off to the throne room. She pushed open the large doors and crossed her arms. "I've finished the quest. There are no more dark guilds in the north."

"Thank you for your service, Miss Vladimir." Hisui responds politely, smiling at Marigold. The golden platinum haired girl smiled a small smile back in response. "Your rewards are just over here."

Marigold quickly requipped the jewels and checked the Diamond Keys. It was Andromeda [the Chained Maiden], Auriga [the Charioteer], and Leo Minor [the Little Lion]. Her eyes widened in surprise. 'Little lion, huh? I never thought she was a Diamond Key. I expected her to be silver.'

Marigold beamed at the royals, happy about her rewards. Just as she was about to leave, Toma called out to her. "Miss Vladimir!"

"Yes, Your Majesty?" Marigold faced the King of Fiore. 

"There is something I would like to give to you." Toma smiled at the young woman. Marigold's eyes widened. 

"Oh, I couldn't possibly -" She tried to protest, but Toma just shook his head.

"No, no, no." Toma said. "This is something I would like to give to you. Once you receive this, you will be free from your duties here in the palace. You are no longer obligated to do exploits for the country of Fiore. I know that your family has returned. I would like you to spend as much time with them as possible. One never knows what happens in the next day."

Marigold sighed. "I supposed I can do nothing."

Toma chuckled. He had one of the servants fetch the item from his quarters, and not a few minutes later, she returned. "Marigold Vladimir, this is not an item you joke around about. This is a family heirloom of the Fiores. It's been passed down from generation to generation. And I want you to have it."

Marigold shook her head in protest. "You have a daughter, Your Majesty. I am not in any way your family. Why would you bless me with such a valuable item?"

"I already have a family heirloom of my own." Hisui chimed in. "This heirloom is special as well, you see. This necklace is to be given to the protectors of Fiore. The Guardians."

"A-and you see me as that?" Marigold asked weakly.

"Of course." Toma nodded his head. "You have been protecting this country with all your might, my dear. This is something we all greatly appreciate."

Marigold smiled. "Thank you."

Marigold kneeled down in front of the King as he placed the necklace around her neck. The beautiful tricolor crocus pendant gleamed as the light hit it. Toma cleared his throat as he stepped back. "Along with that, you're now given the name of Viscountess Marigold Vladimir. Don't worry about paper work and all that, all you have to do is attend large balls and events."

Marigold stood up. "Thank you, Your Majesty. This truly is a great honor."

"Now, go. I'm sure your family is waiting for you." Toma smiled kindly.

Marigold flashed them one bright smile before snapping her fingers to teleport out of the palace. She blinked and found herself in Magnolia again. The smile on her face remained as she skipped to the guild hall. The cake shop in the town caught her attention. They were selling strawberry cakes!

Marigold immediately rushed inside and bought the cake for Erza, knowing about her soft spot for strawberry cakes. She also knew about how Erza would go on a rampage if her 'precious strawberry cake' was crushed by an ongoing fight in the guild, which happens more often than not.

Leaving the cake shop with a large smile on her face, Marigold skipped to the guildhall, beaming brightly. Of course, like always, some people stared at her and whispered but like always, she ignored them.

When she reached the guild hall, she could hear the loud arguments ongoing, but apparently this was about the Grand Magic Games. Macao was saying that they shouldn't participate, but Romeo argued. Marigold faltered slightly in her steps.

She was not naive about the state of the guild, of course. She knew that as of the moment, they were viewed as the weakest guild in Fiore. The members [without Team Tenrou and Marigold], attempted to join the competition, but they always ended up in last place. Ridding her head of the busy thoughts, Marigold continued to listen in to the ongoing conversation taking place.

"Don't you understand, Dad? This is our only way of redeeming ourselves! Now that the Tenrou Team is back, we'll have a chance of winning!" Romeo shouted. "Plus, Mari-nee is back as well, and everyone knows that she's very strong!"

With that, Marigold kicked the door of the guild open. "I don't know if you want my input, but I suggest that we go through with what Romeo says. The Grand Magic Games deems whoever guild is the most powerful. As of the moment Fairy Tail looks pathetic to everyone else. Romeo is right. The Games is the only way that we can redeem ourselves."

"Marigold!" Makarov said in surprise. "Back so soon?"

"The job was easy." Marigold shrugged. "Anyway, if that isn't enough to convince you to join the Games, then I'll have you know that the rewards of the games is not only honor but 30,000,000J as well."

With that, Makarov immediately exclaimed, "We're joining these games! For the thirty million -"

Marigold quickly whacked Makarov in the head and he cleared his throat. "For Fairy Tail!"

The guild cheered in happiness. Marigold smiled at her guildmates. There was no doubt about the teams now. If everything was to go to plan, she would be part of the second team with Laxus, Gajeel, Mira and Cana. Juvia would be their reserve. It would be unwise to put her in the battlefield while Gray is there. It would only distract her. 

With that, Marigold poked Makarov and gestured to his office. It was time to talk strategies with both the First and Second Fairy Tacticians.