Chapter 15: We Need to Have a Talk

Lauren quickly dismounted Camila and pulled her bedroom door open slightly, leaving it cracked about two inches, remembering that there was an ongoing rule in their house: no closed bedroom doors when boys are over (in Lauren and her younger sister Taylor's case, and no closed bedroom doors when girls are over in Chris' case; which was about to be awkwardly switched to Lauren's  case too, once her annoying little brother broke the news to their parents).

She could hear the low tone of her brother's voice as it intertwined with her mother's and she knew that the secret was out, and there was nothing she could do to stop him.

"I'm so screwed" Lauren whispered as she heard her mom's footsteps on the stairs.

"Not exactly" Camila said sarcastically, insinuating what might have happened if her parents hadn't come home so abruptly, as she sat up on the bed and straightened her clothes out.

"Hey girls" her mom said as she poked her head through the door. "Can I come in?"

"Sure" Lauren said regretfully.

"Camila, would you mind if Lauren and I have some privacy?" 

"Yeah, of course" she said as she stood up. "I'll call you later Lauren" she said, giving her an uncertain glare.

"You don't have to leave," Lauren said, reaching for her arm, "this'll only take a second, right mom?" Lauren questioned, knowing that the conversation they were about to have would be long, drawn-out, and uncomfortable.

"No really, it's fine," Camila protested, "I'll call you" she said as she walked out the door.

Lauren exhaled deeply, dreading what her mom was about to say.

"Lauren, we need to have a talk" she said, placing a hand on Lauren's shoulder as she sat on the bed.

"What's up?" She asked nervously.

"Well...your brother...Chris...he said that...that he saw you and...Camila...um..."

Lauren looked at her mom, waiting for the words to come out.

"Okay, what I'm trying to say is, is there anything, anything at all, that you need to tell me?"

"Not really" Lauren said, annoyed at the way this was all happening.

"Listen sweetie, I'm your mom. I love you. More than anything in this world. I'm not here to judge you, or question you, or ridicule you. I just want you to be honest with me." She shifted on the bed trying to figure out how to ask Lauren the burning question without offending her. "I want you to know that you can talk to me about anything, no matter how big or small it may seem."

She sighed deeply and finally gave in, "fine, if you're asking if I'm gay, then...yeah, yeah I am I guess." Lauren said, turning her head away from her mother.

Her mom let out a sigh of relief, "how did you discover this honey?" She asked awkwardly, not knowing how to go about the situation.

"Well I don't know. Dinah's the one who made me realize it."

"You have a crush on Dinah?" Her mom asked confused.

"No," she laughed, "I mean, Dinah said she's always known."

Her mom chuckled, "yeah she's not the only one."

"Wait what?"

"Honey, Dad and I have always known that you were a little different. And there's nothing wrong with that. I don't want you to feel like you have to hide from us." She said, placing a comforting hand on Lauren's leg.