20 • first impressions

The first chapter of a book is the hardest to write and I'm sure most of you guys agree with this.

To those who don't, I'm about to change your mind because it's time you realize how utterly important the opening chapter is. Always remember, it's not just the book cover and blurb that you need to put extra effort in! *wink*

Of course, there are no such rules or patterns in writing them but there ARE elements that you can consider. Thank God am I right?

Let me elaborate for you. 

The very first thing you need to take note of is the opening paragraph of your book, or the first line rather. 

It needs to HOOK in the readers. It needs to be STRONG and something that will pique their interest.

If you start with the blaring alarm then that's a big fat 'F' for you. But, don't get too comfortable yet cause if you try too hard and make a damn complicated paragraph flexing your whole vocabulary then that's a no too. 

What? You thought your readers will like it? Well, sorry to burst your bubble but you thought wrong.

For God's sake just keep it simple.

For instance, we have my current work in progress '3:00 am'. I'm not a published author and I'm still trying my best to discover the hidden tricks of writing but I'm pretty sure, and by that I mean a hundred percent sure, that I did it right. 

(forgive me for my low-key advertising)

Here's my opening: 

Besides the fact that we looked alike, I was nothing like my sister.

It's simple yet a wonderful start that gives a mysterious vibe. It doesn't give out too much information, but it's enough to get the reader's attention and let them continue reading.

Get my point? Okay, next.

The Protagonist. 

I'm pretty sure everyone already knows this. Of course, since we're writing a book then there must be characters that affect the storyline. 

What YOU need is a compelling important character and the first chapter needs to show that. 

I mean, you can't just introduce to us a stereotypical nerd and except us to keep reading your book. I mean we KNOW what will happen next. Need I say more??

(Exception if you execute the stereotype properly. It's hard but still possible)

Your readers need someone that's worth reading about. Someone whose journey they will follow. Someone WITH FLAWS. 

And by flaws, I meant something that makes sense and actually developed over time. For instance, let's say your character is kind and helpful. Then you can actually make this a flaw by letting it overpower the character.

We'll get this: Character A doesn't realize that other people are already taking advantage of her kindness. This can also be associated with being naive (but not all the time).

And of course, one thing you should keep in mind is Character Development.

It's not crucial, but at least a modicum of Character Development is necessary for the protagonist. Again, it varies on what you want your book to achieve.

Next in line, the narrative voice.

This is a bit hard to master, but your unique voice comes out naturally the more you write. It's just like singing, only you're putting words into paper.