03 • welcome on my book, I wont let you down

Sorry to disappoint kid, but you just did.

First impressions are important and this is a Goddamn fact. So, what can you do?

I'm glad you asked, cause there are a lot of factors under this one:

#1: Book Cover

- This is the an important thing. I mean, let's be honest here, we all judge a book by it's cover. It's the first thing the reader sees, so you BETTER make it look good. If you're having trouble making one then start taking advantage of the covershops in Wattpad, there are a lot of them.

Avoid:
- Neon colors (there are a lot of Wattpad books that uses neon colored fonts, no offense to you guys but it doesn't look good I swear).
- Bending of colors (If the background is dark, make sure that the font is light).
- Too fancy fonts (all words should be easy to read and at the same times looks pleasant to the eyes).
- Overly designed covers (this is not a freaking poster for goodness sake, keep it simple).

#2: Title

- This one is pretty easy but I still have no idea on why people makes it look complicated for God's sake.

There's only one thing to avoid, really:
- WORDY TITLES THAT LEGIT SPOIL THE WHOLE BOOK

(ex. My Boyfriend Hates Me because I'm Pregnant With His Baby so I'm Planning for Revenge, I'm In Love with My Best friend but He Likes Someone Else, yadda yadda)

You get my point. Again, keep it simple. Oh and make sure its related to the book (do i even need to say this?)

#3 Blurb

- A good and effective blurb contains all of these elements. Include the Characters (who will drive the plot forward), Setting (where will the story take place), Conflict (what will be the big dillema in the story) and the Stake (what will happen if...)

Avoid:
- Spoiling the ending
- Making it too long

#4 Grammar, Spelling and Punctuation

- This is the most important of them all. This will be the one that determines whether the readers will actually consider your book a good one and whether they will continue reading.

Avoid:
- Run-on sentences or any grammatical errors
- No Spacing between paragraphs (very hard to read)
- Overuse of commas, periods, etc.
- Too much usage of the word 'that'
- Using adverbs (no shortcuts, expand on the idea the old-fashioned way)

Oh and did I mention that first chapters are very important? Like seriously. Make it interesting and leave the readers wanting more. Cliffhangers *cough*