part x.

I grit my teeth as I hear someone suddenly hit the wrong note on their violin

I grit my teeth as I hear someone suddenly hit the wrong note on their violin. I don't let it distract me and continue to press on the keys of the piano, letting the music flow around the room. 

As part of our lesson today, we were practicing in a piano quintet. I was on the piano while there were three girls and a guy on the strings. The rest of the class were sitting in there seats, listening and watching as our professor conducted us to the music. 

I felt a little guilty as in every main ensemble that the music department had created, I had suddenly taken over the main important part which caused people to change instruments or be dropped. But only a little since I make it my goal to never feel insecure or sorry for the talent I have. 

My mother always said that to me. 

The person hits the wrong note again and I scrunch my nose up. I let it go, thinking that they were just having a bad day and continue to play on. But they hit the wrong note again and again and again. Sometimes, being able to pick up on certain notes is a damn curse. 

I keep my eyes trained on the strings, trying to pick out the culprit. And of course it was Lindsay, a senior who enjoyed bad-mouthing me about my performance yet herself had only learnt the violin a few months ago. 

When she hits the wrong note for the umpteenth time, I pull my hands from the keys and stand up. 

"Lindsay, you keep playing the wrong note." I explain as everyone glances from me to the red-head sitting upright in her chair, "Do we need to go over the sheet music again?" 

"It was only a few times, Kara. You're so dramatic. Maybe you should've joined the drama department instead." She scoffs as a couple other students in the room snicker. 

"It wasn't only a few times. Everytime, you hit G when we're meant to be on D, and you hit D when we're meant to be on G." I explain as the professor nods along in agreement. If he agrees then why the hell didn't he say anything? I sigh and continue, "I mean, it's the alphabet. It's not that hard to know unless you're dyslexic. Are you?" 

Lindsay's green eyes widen in shock, "No." 

"Then if you're going to be sloppy please don't volunteer and put everyone else who are trying their best to play at a disadvantage." I explain as I run my hands down my skirt before sitting back down on the bench, "Mr O'Flanagan, let's go ag—" 

"Not everyone can be a fucking prodigy like you, Kara." Lindsay bites back suddenly and I glance up from the keys, "You think you're so much better than us just because you can play every instrument and that you're fucking not only Sebastian Mercer but Scott Cameron and Augustus Fitzwilliam too. I mean, talk about desperate." 

"So you're blaming your sloppiness on the fact that you're jealous you didn't get to sleep with them? Is that it?" I question as I stand up so I could see her clearly over the piano. Mr O'Flanagan gasps along with a couple other students in the class.