part iv.

"Hi, excuse me?" I question meekly as I stand in front of the main reception desk, staring at the flurry of people behind it

"Hi, excuse me?" I question meekly as I stand in front of the main reception desk, staring at the flurry of people behind it. The admissions office of Briarwood Prepatory was chaotic to say the least but it makes sense since it was the first day back. 

There were about four other desks behind the main one, all large and of dark cherry wood. The three woman and one man were either hurrying about with stacks of paper, typing away on their large iMacs or calling people on the phones. 

No one had noticed I was standing right here. 

"Hello?" I call out again with a small smile as one of the ladies who was zooming past, cradling a messy pile of papers in her arms, glance up at me. I breathe a sigh of relief, thankful I had gotten one of their attention when suddenly she averts her gaze and continues past me into another room. 

I screw my face up, slightly offended but more so annoyed. I had been standing here for the pasty twenty minutes and not one of them have come up to ask me if I needed help. And I needed a lot of it. 

Suddenly, a girl leans on the desk next to me. 

"My gym locker isn't big enough. Can I have the key to one of the end ones?" She asks and they respond so quickly. One of the ladies practically leaps from her chair and smiles at the young female. 

"We're so sorry to hear that, Miss Melrose. I'll just go grab another key for you." The office lady smiles before zooming off through another door. I was staring at the girl who was lazily leant against the reception desk. She was dressed in a blue, white and gold volleyball training shirt and tiny white bikes shorts. 

Her brown hair was pulled back into a high pony and she wore black knee pads on her knees. She was already training for volleyball on the first morning? It had just past eight o'clock. Wow, people at Briarwood do not waste time. 

As if feeling my offended gaze on her, she side glances me and gives me a confused, disgusted look. 

She shakes her head, "What?" 

"I was waiting first." I explain to her as her lips tilt up in a cocky smirk and her eyes gaze down the length of me. 

"And?" She scoffs while rolling her eyes. I try bite my tongue and sigh. Get use to this Kara, you're know a bottom feeder in this school. 

"Nevermind. I was just wondering if they taught manners as a class here, but obviously not." I mumble under my breath while playing with the small orientation pamphlet I had squeezed to death in my hand. Dad was more worried for the pamphlet than I was when he saw it gripping it tightly in the passenger seat this morning. 

Dad doesn't often drop me off at school but since this was a special occasion, he drove me the extra half-an-hour because it was a special occasion. 

The girl frowns as her spine straightens up and she places a hand to her hip, "Excuse me—" 

"Well aren't you a feisty one?" A familiar chuckle sounds from behind me and the both of us turn. Sebastian stood there like the god he is, hands tucked into the pockets of his dark grey slacks and a butterfly-inducing lopsided grin on his face.