ct-14 Staying away

Start from the beginning

It was uncle Jerome's naming day. Katherine put on a free sunflower dress that rebelled against the winter. Julia had made her hair bouncy and beautiful.

Her efforts to avoid Kai had been successful but it wasn't helping. She still felt strongly towards him. It was weird admitting that to herself. She couldn't also help wondering if he felt the same way. She didn't want to find out.

She stepped out of her room so she could summon three guards and be off to the throne room where the ceremony would hold. Only to find Kai staring out her window at the courtyard.

Her stomach did a little backflip. She hadn't known how much she'd missed his company. And his intense gray eyed gaze, and the way he'd laugh to some of the ridiculous things she said and did.

He wore a white shirt tucked into black leather pants. He wore a long overcoat that reached his knees. Heros was, as usual sheathed behind him.

He was leaning against the window frame with folded arms. She noticed how his muscular frame limned out even with the clothes he wore.

"Nice to see you too Katherine." Kai said without turning from the window. How did he do that sometimes?

"Hey Kai." she said sheepishly. She thought she could have left quick enough.

He turned from the window and then looked to her.

"I haven't seen you this week. Are you alright? What's going on?" Kai asked with genuine concern in his voice.

"Oh I'm fine Kai. Don't worry." Katherine replied almost sweating under his gaze.

"Then why have you been avoiding me?" Kai asked.

"What? Why would you think that?" She asked noticing her voice was going uncomfortably higher.

Kai shifted on his feet and did not relent in his stare that was almost a glare now.

"You like going out. And you know you need me to go out. Plus you like my company because I amuse you. So why are you avoiding me?" Kai asked again.

"Kai I'm not avoiding you. I'm just...I'm...on my cycle." Katherine said, thinking fast. She immediately regretted embarrassing herself as her cheeks turned red.

"You're on your cycle? Really?" Kai asked. He clearly didn't believe her.

"Yes. Yes I am." Katherine said, lifting her chin and forcing her hands from covering her face and her feet from running away.

"For a week?" Kai asked, lifting his brows.

"What do you know about females? Anyways It's been a gruesome week for me. So I haven't been avoiding you, I just didn't want you to see me." Katherine said. It looked as though Kai was still going to press.

"Come on we're going to be late." Katherine said quickly.

They walked to the throne room in an awkward silence. The throne room was filled with members of the court. Katherine took her place beside Esther on her custom made throne on the dais. Nesta and Kai stood below.

The ceremony was quick. Jerome was named the Queens hand. Making him second in command in all the kingdom of Arocelli.

It still didn't sit right with Katherine.

She was still sitting on her throne next to her sister. Everyone was moving around. Some congratulating Jerome and others conversing. Wine was being offered by maids who moved around the room.

Kai and Nesta had started a conversation below. And Kai got stares from the lot of the ladies of the court.

"Kai seems to be attracting attention don't you think?" Esther said to Katherine.