Chapter 46

The night fell silently on the Joy house

The younger boys had gone to bed awhile ago and Tilly was coming soon to watch them. Tucker had taken great care when tucking them in, telling each boy he loved them for a very long time. They were none the wiser on what night it was, but my throat closed at his secret goodbyes.

Ben sat next to me, his hand in mine. His fingers were icy but there was more life in his cheeks now. When I looked up at him, it seemed like he was trying to smile but couldn't. I didn't blame him. The living room was silent apart from Elias' deep breaths- the earlier smiles and laughter were gone and only a stillness remained. When Tucker descended the stairs, I wondered if his eyes were truly watery or if it was a trick of the light.

Ben looked up at his older brother. "Ready?"

Tucker didn't respond, he simply nodded and his brothers rose from the couches. The older of the three looked at the youngest. Elias' gaze didn't wither under his older brother's stern eyes. Tucker, unlike the rest of his brothers, had eyes so brown that they were almost black. Elias' eyes were a soft blue, not yet hardened as his two older brothers'.

"I'm going. Don't even try to stop me," Elias declared confidently.

Tucker's face had the ghost of a smile, and he inclined his head toward me. "You sound like her."

Elias puffed up his chest proudly, and his brother clapped him on the shoulder. Ben's eyes met mine and I could see the veiled terror behind his outward calm. He thought he was going to lose another family member, and he knew there was nothing he could do about it.

I felt like I was going to throw up.

Ben's hand in mine was firm as he pulled me off the couch and the three Joys and I stepped out into the darkness outside the house. With a final squeeze, Ben dropped my hand and led Elias away into the woods. I was left alone with the eldest Joy boy who had fire in his dark eyes.

He moved some hair behind my ear. "You know where to go, right? You remember the clearing?"

As if I could forget.

"I remember."

He smiled down at me, a simple smile- one that I wanted to get used to. I could feel his brothers watching us from the tree line, but he didn't seem to mind.

"I wanted to tell you this yesterday, but there was a lot to say," Tucker began.

My heart thumped loudly in my chest, preparing myself for whatever he was going to say. His tone was deathly serious, and I knew whatever it was, it was definitely bad.

But then he grinned.

"Don't ever break up with me again."

He pressed a chaste kiss to my lips, winked at me, and ran toward the tree line to meet his brothers- laughing all the way. I was stunned for a moment before shouting some obscenities in his general direction.