Chapter 39

Tucker, as expected, listened in and did not find Ben and I's humor tolerable

"Well, I just don't get it," he muttered angrily throwing the pillows on his perfectly made bed to the side. "You putting yourself at risk isn't funny."

I laughed a little. "That's not- nevermind."

He huffed and continued to undo his bed as I leaned against the doorframe watching his back muscle strain. My head still pounded but at least it was bandaged now and the full weight of the day rested on my shoulders. Luckily, tomorrow was Saturday, so I didn't have to go to school-not that school was even one of my major concerns. I was probably failing everything anyway.

"I just think," Tucker continued even though I had zoned out, "that you need to take these things a little more seriously. It's your life, Lou."

I sighed and pushed myself off of the doorway to lay my hand on his arm, fire shooting through my fingers. He looked down at me, his brown eyes softening infinitesimally. He visibly seemed to relax as I guided him so we were sitting on the bed. My fingertips grazed his cheek and he closed his eyes.

"You do not have to bear the weight of the world on your shoulders, Tucker Joy," I told him, "You worry about your brothers, you don't have to worry about me too."

At that, he laughed. "You're a terrible psychic if you think I'm not going to worry about you."

I glared at him and shoved my shoulder into his. He simply smiled that stupid, lopsided smile. Suddenly, his smile faded and he became very serious and my stomach dropped. His eyes held mine, and it reminded me of the first time I'd seen Tucker. I'd had a vision. He was going to hold my heart in his hands and I was still unsure if he'd protect it or squash it in his palm. His eyes shone as they held my gaze and I could see the small golden flecks in a ring around his pupil- they were eyes that had seen too much, eyes that were too old for a boy who shouldn't have had to become a man.

"You know what you mean to me, don't you?"

I nodded. I'd seen it. I'd been in his head and I'd seen how he'd watched me and how he noticed things about me I would've never seen. But he'd never been inside my head. He'd never seen the way the darkness called to me in my dreams.

The way he looked at me now, I knew he'd never be able to look at me the same if he'd seen it.

Instead of responding, I pressed my lips to his softly, feeling my insides burn at the contact. The kiss lasted only a moment and I still felt like I couldn't breathe. My stomach was in knots as I pulled away.

He brushed a strand of my unruly hair back behind my ear and leaned his forehead against mine.

"Every time I think I'll get used to it but it shocks me every time," he whispered.