Chapter 35

"It wasn't easy," I murmured, my voice so quiet that I wasn't sure if I'd actually spoken

"What?"

"It wasn't easy," I repeated, louder, "you forget that I've seen what's inside your head, Tucker Joy, and I know you. You've killed people, yes. You've done terrible things to protect your family, that's true. But it has never been easy for you."

"Lou, according to the stories, the gods gifted your ancestors with their abilities. The ancient Greeks worshipped daemons and the way the could help people. In the stories, werewolves, however, were-"

I interrupted him. "Frankly, I don't give two fucks about the 'stories,' Tucker. I believe what I know. And I know that there are four boys who wouldn't be happy- not to mention alive- if it weren't for you."

Tucker was silent at that. He looked as if he wanted to speak, but the words wouldn't come out. His eyes held the look of someone who had seen too much- a dark shadow on an otherwise lovely face. At that moment, I was struck by the beauty of him. But I'd always thought tragic things were beautiful.

The silence continued and he sat back down next to me. After a long moment, he finally spoke.

"I'm sorry I tried to tell you what to do," he murmured.

"I'm sorry I called you 'Dog Boy.'"

Tucker Joy laughed.

***

I wish I could say that my life was dramatically different in the weeks to come, but they weren't. I still went to school (much to my chagrin). Tucker was busy training with the people we'd talked to. Megan and Jacob seemed to be over every day following the challenge. They appeared to be his two biggest supporters.

The three of them trained nonstop when we were there. Part of me wished I could train alongside them. I wanted to know why I couldn't reach Owein through the ley lines. I wished I could do the same things as him like practicing my powers, but there was no one to train me. Gray even said that there were no daemons that lived in West Acres anymore. Perhaps, they were all smarter than I was and knew to get the hell out.

Tucker's training, while beneficial, still cast a dark shadow above the Joy home. We all knew what he was training for. The younger Joy boys even seemed to sense the darkness in the house. Ben was still recovering from his overdose and was frequenting a rehabilitation center to speak with counselors. Elias was silent most days. His quietness was one of my primary concerns.

Harry and I were still living at Owein's as screwed up as it was. The very thought of my mother alone with her fiance made me feel sick to my stomach. 

Sitting through chemistry class while my mother was at home with a psychotic killer who may or may not be working with my long-lost father seemed a little ridiculous. Tucker swore to me he would keep a close watch on my mother while Harry and I were away at school, but it wasn't good enough. I wanted to be there.