Chapter 45

A/N: CHECK OUT THE INCREDIBLE COVER THAT Alaina1705 MADE ME! If you guys ever make anything for Lunatics, absolutely send it to me! I'm OBSESSED!

We walked together slowly back to my bike. Neither of us speaking- his hand only brushing my back briefly to keep me from falling again. The only sounds were those of his breath and the crunch of the branches beneath my feet.

The moon watched our trip, a constant reminder of the events that would unfold tomorrow. My eyes stayed glued to the ground in front of me, not able to look up at its luminescence. Tucker, however, was calm- the kind of eerie calm that appears before a storm.

He reached out and took my hand in his, not looking at me. I wondered if he could sense my feelings of unease like I could sense his calmness. I hoped not.

We reached my bike, and I knew our silence needed to break but I didn't know how to begin. There was so much I wanted to say to him. We were alone now, but who knew what tomorrow would be like. Would I get to say goodbye?

No, not goodbye. It was a mantra I kept repeating in my head- one that was keeping me sane.

He was looking down at me with those eyes and I knew it couldn't be goodbye. He was so warm- so alive- that the light in his eyes couldn't flicker out tomorrow.

"I saw something once," I began, "when we almost kissed that night on the dock."

He ran his hands down my arms and pulled me closer, circling his arms around my waist. His lips pressed into the top of my unruly hair.

"Ben was talking to you about breaking up with Rose... for me," I continued and looked up at him, but his eyes were closed peacefully.

"I've seen the sun," he hummed, "and I'm an idiot if I think the other stars will ever be good enough."

The words from his mouth sent my heart into overdrive and I knew he could hear it from the way his lips pulled up in the corner. His eyes remained shut as we leaned into each other, feeling the other's chest rise and fall like a metronome. I was content at that moment. I wanted to ask if it was the truth, but I couldn't bring myself to break the peaceful silence between us. There were so many things I wanted to say to him, but it seemed like he only had one word on his mind: goodbye.

"I should go, my brothers are waiting for me."

I sighed. Obviously we couldn't stay in the woods forever, but it was nice to pretend. Nodding, I climbed onto my bike and his lips curled up at the corner. He opened his mouth to say something, but I knew what it would be.

"Please don't say goodbye. Just say... till tomorrow."

His peaceful smile grew. "Till tomorrow."

Without another word, I kicked the bike into gear and sped off away from him aching to go back and touch him. But he wasn't gone. I knew, under the cover of the woods, he was running beside me the entire way home.