All ends end with beginnings

Start from the beginning

"STOP-!! YOUR HIGHNESS-!!!"

One hundred years since you had breathed your last breath as truly alive- One hundred years since your heart stopped beating- a century since that crown was placed upon your head along with the burden on your shoulders of running a population on grief- not a single word uttered about- him.

"STOP HER!!"

You were dead. You kept it together for the monster-folk that swam to coronate you following their leader's death. You kept it together for Papyrus. You kept it together for Gaster, sealed away in his lab in mourning of his brother.

"YOUR HIGHNESS-! PLEASE RECONSIDER!!!"

You kept it together for your people who knew nothing of the sorrow you were so capable of drowning in at any given moment— your sprint broke as you rounded the corner- bounding into the hard, armoured chest of Papyrus who only stared down at you, amused by your shock. "Your majesty." He bowed, a slight- graceful gesture. This- was your second time trying to break into the barrier. The first was just as unsuccessful as this attempt. His arm linked with yours as the dull clatter of clinking armour made its way around the bend, Papyrus giving them a steely glare.

The troupe of soldiers struggled for breath, doubled over. Since gangs had been outlawed by your order- physical activity was next to none and left everyone easily winded. "Is this how lagging you all are? Lazy and impudent-? Tardy in accordance to your sworn duties?! Your job is to protect and escort the queen yet you're all two seconds too late! It's inexcusable-!" Papyrus barked at them, the troupe bowing their heads, ashamed by their failure. Quite done with his tirade, he turned to you calmly. "Shall we, my queen?" You only nodded, defeated as he led you away from the barrier.

You walked in silence along the lined halls, Papyrus looking ahead whilst you dragged behind- gaze stapled to the lavishly rugged floor. "If I may- your majesty," Papyrus began, your head lifting slightly. "-I must say that the relations between monsters and humans have greatly improved since your ascension to the throne." "Then why won't you let me go up and see my work-?" You bit back, irate scowl forming. You never ran away in the beginning. You were always perched on your throne- mouldering without an ounce of a mere protest, now— you had a reason to fight it. He was alive. You had been asking over Sans sightings according to those coordinates for years now— and they finally saw him. A skeleton. You had to get up- you had to see for yourself—

"Well-" He spoke after a silent moment. "There is a world leader summit in surface-world that you're meant to attend- perhaps we can attend together and observe the progress from afar." This is what you didn't like. Papyrus was your councillor- supervisor. He invited himself along to anything and everything that correlated with your schedule like an around-the-clock guard dog. It's not to say you were ungrateful for his company— it just wasn't needed everywhere you went! And don't even mention him attempting to find a way to formally court you-! You wouldn't have a bar of it.

You were engaged to Sans. Wonderful, stubborn- overprotective Sans. And by god, you were going to see him. "That sounds wonderful." You mused, watching his smile twist upwards at your acceptance. "With that attitude, perhaps we could watch the street parade also.." he hummed. "I hope seeing different cultures will please you, majesty." Oh yes it would- it would please you to break out of this miserable pit. "It would." You smiled up at him. You would carry on until the summit but for now— Papyrus sank, bowing to you. "Majesty, if I might—" he grasped your hands in his phalanges, looking down at them in admiration. "I'd like to re-pledge my loyalties to you. Though I'm not my brother— you will always have me by your side, you may have no doubts of it..." He dipped his skull, kissing the top of your hand gently. You pinked, prying your hand away, though your flush didn't go unnoticed- no, it never went unnoticed. Good lord, he wanted to drive you into the wall—

He was inwardly delighted.

Fighting a victorious smirk, he rose before carrying on. True, he might not have a chance- but he would create enough opportunity to make one. He just had to be patient. And patient he was this past century- though it was growing thin and worn down. He understood you knew of Sans' sighting, he tried to brush it off as often as he could but you were... admirably persistent. It was the best way he could describe it. You had made a break for the barrier twice now. What's to say you wouldn't make a third attempt? He wouldn't have it. His brother was dead. You had to move on- and onto Papyrus would be ideal. He fancied himself as the cunning one- certainly the better shaped one, he had his dominating appeal to him— but you were hung up on his brother.

He couldn't understand it for the life of him. Just as Sans couldn't understand it for the death of him.

Sans couldn't keep his thoughts off you as the boat swayed against its watery course. If twenty-three trials were what it took- then that's what it took. And when he got back— well... he chuckled to himself at the thoughts of the reunion. Heavy touches would be required. And he was certain the new century would be well-versed in the art... perhaps there'd be a few new positions he'd be yet to try on you. To celebrate with his wifey of course-! He missed you after-all! He was cut out of his gutter stream-line of thoughts abruptly as the boat jolted, docked against a grassy shore.

"All off!" The River person laughed, dark cloak rippling against the gentle wind. Sans stumbled off of the wooden boat, landing in a marsh of green. His sockets squinted, peering into the dark horizon above the hill Asgore leaped from the side of the boat, landing behind Sans with a tired grunt. "Let's get this over with..." The king growled, trooping off to the top of the hill. Sans lingered behind before turning. "Hey, was there anything we needed to know abo—??" Only the empty fog answered him with dead silence. Sans stared into the space before hesitantly shuffling up the hill himself.

After hauling himself up, he gaped at their resting place that Asgore charged towards, unpausing. Glowing in teal illuminance, standing proudly at the base of the hillside in all its crumbled, sturdy glory— lay Asgore's castle.

"Oh, fuck me—!"

(A.N: Welcome back guys! It's nice to see you all again! Thanks again to: HoneyBunBunUwU for the amazing cover!! You rock! Please tell me what you thought on this chapter- I always get a bit iffy about first chapters DX Things may be a little confusing now- but I can explain: The sans sighting takes a place a few days after Sans' awakening and his first trial- just wanted to clear that up. Oh! And the year is the current one ;) I really hope you guys enjoyed- let me know if there's anything you want included in this— oh! One more thing before I go- how do you guys feel about the Papyrus thing?? Just checking ^^ Love y'all! See you in the next chapter!)