004 - Or else what

Start bij het begin

"He's not going to ask me for it," I push the book aside. "I don't get it."

"Brett, he might."

I look over to my seatmate who was sleeping soundly, head buried in his arms. His face wasn't turned towards me, I could only see his copper curls. He sleeps a lot in school, I wonder what the deal about that was. Sometimes he even sleeps in class and most teachers don't bother with him because he's the best and even if you wake him up just then to answer something on the board, he would without hesitation. Alex, who by the way is obsessed with Greek history, says he's a combination of Aphrodite and Athena's blessings.

I leaned in closer to Alex, "then let me copy yours. You did it right?"

"I did," he blinked at me. "But that's cheating."

"Who would know?" I winked at him and he flushed red.

"Brett, you should know it," Alex insisted.

"And I would, after the class."

Alex sighed but got to his feet either way walking over to his seat to get his assignment for me. I smiled to myself at how guilty he looked. People did this all the time and it was no big deal.

However, as Alex starts making his way over to me with his book, Mr Neville walks in.

"Order in here, return to your seats lads."

Fuck.

Alex and I share a look and he walks back to his seat leaving me on my own and in a bag of shit. I sighed, rubbing my hands together and assuring myself that he was either not going to remember the assignment or wouldn't ask me for mine.

"Hope my assignments are ready?" He asks, eliminating my first hope. The class echoes yes and that's what wakes Colton up. I watch as he adorably get up, eyes still shut and yawns a bit.

"So which of you lads would come show us on the board?" Mr Neville asks, big eyes scanning the entire class. I gulp, looking down at my note to seem distracted so he won't pick me... "How about the transfer kid?"

My heart thumped. Me?

"Adams right?" Fuck me!

I look up resigned to my fate and nod. He smiles and beckons me over. "Come on then, show us what you've done."

I look over at Alex and he had his palms over his face, looking like he wanted to go hide under his table. If I wasn't the one stuck in this predicament, I would have found the situation funny. I get up with my empty book and walk towards the board, taking the marker from the teacher. He gives me an encouraging smile and I feel like disappearing. Still I turned and wrote out the questions on the board and that's when my plan ended. I stood there, not knowing what to do.

"Anytime now, Mr Adams."

Taking in a deep breath, I turned to him, "I'm deeply sorry Sir but I didn't understand the assignments, so I didn't do any of it."

He frowned at me, "and did you go to anybody for help?"

I nodded, I could feel everyone's eyes on me. "I did but I still didn't get it."

"Even Colton, your seatmate?"

My eyes moved to Colton who was frowning ahead. "I didn't go to him."

"And why not, Mr Adams?" Mr Neville pointed at Colton. "Colton is our best student and luckily your seatmate, a wish person should take advantage of that."

Should I tell him he hates me guts?

I don't say anything and I'm dismissed to my seat. He calls someone else to do the maths and after they did it correctly, he ordered seatmates to switch notes and mark themselves good or bad. Colton and I switched notes and I took notice that even his handwriting was perfect.