Chapter Twenty Two

Start from the beginning

"Is it your business ni?" Lydia said, eyeing him.

"Sorry oh." Demmie said.

"She's not using us as slaves sef. We're just assisting her because she's pregnant." Jetemi said.

"It'll get worse when she gives birth. You people will turn to babysitters. Oshi sha." Demmie said and hissed again.

I laughed and they all turned to look at me. "Why is Demmie so worked up about us helping her? Shebi it's us that will get tired, why are you nah vexing on top the matter?"

"Abi oh." Thomas said.

"It's true sef. Lemme mind my business." Demmie said and all of us laughed.

By now, we've gotten to the principal's office and we were waiting for the teacher in the office to leave before we enter, so as not to interrupt their discussion. After about five minutes later, the teacher left the principal's office and we walked in one after the other.

"Good afternoon, sir." We chorused.

"Good afternoon." He said, looking at our faces one after the other. "Is this everyone of you from science class?"

"Yes, sir."

"Ademola, Demilade, Sarah and Lydia, if I'm right?"

"Yes, sir."

Looking at Thomas, he said. "So, why are you here?"

"I escorted–"

"The junior that came to call us called his name too." I said to stop Thomas from saying he only followed us here. The Principal will scold him if he should say so.

"Oh, alright. Anyway, I only called for Sarah, Ademola, Demilade and Lydia."

"Sorry, sir." He said and walked towards the door.

"I didn't tell you to leave, did I?" The Principal said to him.

"No, sir."

"Then stay. I never said you can't listen to what I called them here for too."

"Oh, alright sir." He walked back to where he stood before.

"Anyway, we got a message from the Ministry of Education in the state that five students would be representing for the state-capital spelling bee, not three anymore. We've picked those of you to represent us. The four of you and Ella from B class are the participants. I want you all to start preparing from now on. You all must get to the finals and bring the trophy home. Can you hear me?!"

"Yes, sir." We chorused.

"Excuse me, sir." Demmie said.

"Yes? Any question?"

"Sir, what about Lilian Moris? She's pretty good and she was one of the second position in the spelling bee yesterday."

"Of course. She should have joined you but she has a speech to deliver at a meeting with the governor that very day. The teachers and I found out she's the right and most qualified person to deliver the speech from your set, with the senior boy and girl so she'd be going with them that day while you people go for your competition."

"Alright, sir."

"As I said, no more playing around for you. This is a time to prepare hard for your WAEC exams and also this competition."

"Yes sir."

"Sir, what about Alex?" Sarah asked.

Oh, true. Why isn't she representing the school? I thought they planned to take her with us since she's pretty good in spellings.