Chapter 23

Adrien sat holding a rose in his hand from the bunch he had bought for Marinette earlier that afternoon. If she were here, they would have already had their stems trimmed, she would have put sugar in the water and the flowers would have been arranged in her favourite vase on the table. The apartment would have the lingering smell of whatever amazing dinner she would have cooked and they would now be snuggled up on the lounge with her special hot chocolate and watching, but not really watching, a movie on TV. Instead the roses were wilting on the sink, because she's not here to tend to them. The apartment was full of people, yet it felt so empty without her in it. The others were eating Chinese takeout while making calls, but Adrien couldn't eat a bite. All it did was remind him of that night in his office when he finally confessed his feelings. One of the petals fell away from his hand, gently falling to the ground as the snow started picking up outside. He gripped the rose tighter, screwing his eyes shut.

Alya was on the phone to Tom and Sabine, keeping them in the loop and reassuring them. Adrien had sent the Gorilla to the bakery in case Lila tried anything else. He had no doubt in his mind that Lila was involved and someone acting this unhinged was unpredictable. Chloé was discussing the situation with Sabrina on her phone, but in three hours, the police had come up with nothing. Adrien had decided to leave Felix out of what was happening for the moment. He didn't want to risk his cousin finding out about the superhero status of his friends after they had decided to bring Chloé in on what was going on. Chloé assured Adrien that Felix was completely worn out and would sleep soundly until morning. Nobody wanted to know why or how she knew that. Besides, not having Felix there meant the Kwamis were free to move around the apartment.

Nino was sitting next to Adrien and placed a hand on his friend's shoulder. "Bro, I'm sure she's okay. We'll find her. Lila might be sneaky, but she's not that smart." Adrien just nodded, his hair was messy and hanging down his face. He wasn't so sure about the 'not so smart' part. Lila had fooled a great many people over the years.

"She's my whole world Nino. I don't think I could face tomorrow without her." He loosened his grip and the rose fell to the ground as he buried his face into his hands. Both Alya and Chloé turned towards the two boys. Finishing up their calls, they joined them on the lounge, hugging Adrien as he started to break down. "She's all I have. This can't be happening, this can't...." His voice broke between sobs. Alya and Nino hugged him on each side. Chloé knelt in front of him and brushed his hair from his eyes.

"Adrikins, look at me. We are going to find her, and Lila is going to pay for this. Sabrina has cops looking all over the city. We will find her." She shook his shoulders gently and he slowly raised his eyes to her determined look.

"You're not alone Sunshine. We are here for you too." He turned his head to Alya and nodded before looking over for Plagg.

Plagg had been uncharacteristically quiet. Wayzz, Trixx and Pollen sat quietly around him. Without warning Plagg was suddenly up in the air shooting around the room wildly. "Plagg what is it?" Asked Wayzz.

"It's Tikki. I can feel her. She's here." By this everyone was now on their feet watching the black cat continue darting around the room. He then flew out through the window into the dark night. Adrien held his hands to the glass trying to see where Plagg went. Did this mean Marinette was here too? He held his breath and waited.

Moments later, Plagg flew back into the room, his arms around an exhausted Tikki. "Quick." Trixx called out. "Lay her on a pillow. Pollen get a cookie." Pollen sped to the kitchen as Plagg helped Tikki onto the pillow.

"Tikki, where's Marinette?" Adrien asked fearfully. Tikki was as struggling to keep her eyes open as Pollen gave her the cookie.

"Give her a moment Chat Noir." Wayzz said calmly. "When she has recovered, I'm sure she will tell us everything."