I had heels on, around 3 inches, and due to my growth spurt I easily levelled with the man's nose. I guessed that placed my height at 5 ft 9, or 5 ft 6 without my shoes on.

As I shut the door behind me I noted the confusion on the man's face.

"Will your guardian, Mr Finn, not be joining you this evening?" he questioned before I fixed him with an impassive stare.

"No, sir, he will not. Although I trust you do not believe me to be incapable of attending such an event without a male presence beside me." I retaliated. I hadn't meant my voice to be so cold but his question had just clarified my previous concerns that people would notice I was alone and would therefore question why.

"No, ma'am. I apologise." He hung his head, his flat topped hat barely hiding the blush on his cheeks. He must have at least been in his late twenties, so I wondered how on earth a sixteen year old girl had managed to make him blush. Was I really that austere and challenging?

"There's no need for an apology, sir. I merely miss him, that's all. His absence is tender topic for me," I said softly, hoping to place myself back in his good graces before he thought of me as a rich, nasty, ward.

He dipped his head in acceptance, and we continued our journey to the carriage in silence. In fact the journey to the ball was strangely quiet as well. The streets weren't as bustling as they had been previously and the orange and black garlands fluttered in the wintery winds - making not a sound as they did so.

Eventually we reached my destination, and I watched with fresh nerves as couples and groups entered the regal establishment. It seemed it was a house, a very big, very expensive looking house. I guessed it made sense since the ball was held by a wealthy person, although I half thought it would have been held in a hotel's ballroom. If the house was big enough to hold a ball then its owners must have been more influential than I first thought.

I bit my lip and took a calming breath, giving the driver a nod as he stood waiting to open the door and help me out.

"Thank you for your services." I tipped him kindly before gulping and straightening my posture to stand tall. If I was going to do this, I was going to do it properly with a smile on my face and confidence in my stance.

I took steady steps up the royal blue carpet which led to the open front door, my dress trailing slightly behind me. Once I had handed in my invitation I hurried to blend myself into the crowd. I didn't want to stand out too much for too long.

As I gently adjusted the mask I felt a surge of gratefulness. At least the mask hid my identity and saved a little of the curiosity. Everyone here was anonymous so I could just blend into the crowd.

I took a deep breath and took my first steps into regal society, not knowing if I would sink or swim.

My mother had never told me about the balls she attended, not in great detail, but I always knew they were enjoyable. Her eyes lit up when she talked about them and now I knew why.

Time was passing far too fast for my liking. I didn't want to go back to my solitary existence in my hotel room. I wanted to stay in this room, filled with glorious luxury, buzzing with tantalising conversation, thriving with absolute happiness and enjoyment. I knew my face was stretched in a smile even though my feet were aching from the hours of dancing.

I had never experienced such interest in my person. People wanted to talk to me, learn about my personality, my likes and dislikes. Men whisked me away to the dance floor and complimented my grace, beauty, and elegance. I was full to bursting with pride and confidence.

No one knew who I was, at least not my name and I didn't know theirs. I wondered if the mystery was what had helped this night to be so easy. People didn't really know that I was the elusive, secretive, Miss St Clair. The lonely girl who lived in the Chesterfield suite at the Winchester Hotel. What a mystery I was to them. I knew if they had known I was walking amongst them I would be the focus of the speculation and gossip, and what an awful thing that would be especially when I knew it could feel like this. The freedom and carefree nature of it all. I didn't want to give that up by just telling someone my name.