[He laughed and said "Alright but here is another one for your side just in case." I gave him a small nod and said "Thank you so very much. I will keep you and your family safe." He said "Thank you Delilah. Stay safe and wake me up if you need anything." I nodded and I slowly made my way out of the room and out the front door to keep watch.]

I sat on the chair outside and started looking out for people. I thought I saw something but I was wrong. My mind was playing tricks on me. I sat back relaxing a bit but was pulled from my relief when I heard gunshots and screaming. I stood up and grabbed both muskets and headed off the porch in a dangerous direction. I saw in the distance 3 figures all staggering towards me. They were blue coats. I ran to them and I said "Here let me help you." I put my musket over my shoulder and I helped them to their feet. I said to them "Hold onto my arms and try and lean against me. I will move slowly and I will aid your injuries. No need to worry men. You are in good hands."

We moved slowly and finally made our way to the main pathway to the house. Benjamin was outside with the 15-year-old son. Thomas I take his name to be. Ben saw us coming back and they both ran to assist me. They both pulled two men off me and helped them up to the porch where we helped them with their wounds. One soldier was mumbling under his breath. "They're c-com-ming." I leaned closer to his ear. "They're coming. Run!" he whispered. I glanced over at Ben who was helping the other soldiers. I helped this soldier lay down.

"Who is coming?"

"R-red Coat-ts!"

"Where are they now?"
"I don't kn-now. R-run!"
He was panicking from the blood loss. I understood how paranoid he could be at this point. But there was something in me that knew he was right. I looked back up at Ben but his eyes were pointed towards something else. I followed his gaze and saw more men coming our way. He looked back at me and said "Get Abigail. We need all the help we can get. We will be helping Red and Blue Coats." I quickly nodded and stood up. I ran inside and gently woke Abigail up.

She opened her eyes and realized it was me. "What is it Miss?" I said quietly, "We need all the help we can get. There are many wounded outside." She understood and immediately got up. We made it outside and stopped in our tracks as we saw more and more men coming. We did all we could do. We tried saving more men than we could. Even Abigail knew that we couldn't save all of them. It was so heartbreaking to see all of the dead bodies we had to pile, all of the bloodied soldiers in agonizing pain, all of the limbs that were nowhere to be found. But worst of all was the screaming. Of course on the bright side, there were other soldiers here to help as well. There were many who brought others in. 

There were plenty of Red Coats too. We gave them the help that we gave the colonials. After all, they were human as well. I had to keep that mindset. No matter how many of those damned red coats were a part of the killings of my family, I chose to help them. Am I being willing to help? Yes. Yes I am. But am I happy to help the murderers who killed my family? As much as I would like to consider I'm not ok with it, I am ok with it. Because like I said, they are all human just like me. 

Every now and then the four of us, Abigail, Benjamin, Thomas and I would do rotations. 1 would get the water for everyone, 1 would clean the new soldiers' wounds, 1 would tend to the already wounded and 1 would sleep. It was all taking place in 20-minute increments. We all needed rest but I would refuse to sleep. It was my duty to help get our country free and that is what I would be doing. When 1 slept, I would take their job. In some way it made sense. 

Saving people got me thinking about that time my sister fell out of the tree in our backyard!

(Memories in italic)

"Sarah! Get down! You'll fall!" 

"No I won't! Just come up here Debbie Downer!" 

So I did just that. I didn't want to not seem brave and not join her! Plus, it looked like fun! I made my way up the trunk and onto the branch just below my sister. It was a pine tree, so we had to be careful not to get sap on our dresses. Our mother would be so angry with us!  She was already tired trying to take care of grandma too. 

As I made my way further up the tree, I slipped a little causing the tree to shake. I made it back up on the branch but my sister however, did not. She must have panicked when I slipped! I carefully made it back down the tree to find my sister unconscious on the ground below. I was so worried. I was being wary to not hurt her neck in any way if she did hit it wrong. I didn't know what to do. 

I gently placed her head back down on the grass and raced to the house. I ran inside the house and yelled "Mama mama!!!! Sarah's hurt!" My mother came running in from the kitchen and said "Delilah where is she?" I quickly gestured for her to follow me. We ran back to Sarah and my mother knelt down next to her. She shook her a little bit and said quietly "Srah. Sarah honey, wake up. Please wake up." She sniffled a little bit and looked up. "God please help her. Help my baby girl!"  She looked back down and over to me. "Go get your father Dee. After you get your father, I want you to go to Anns house ok?" I shook my head and said "No! I want to stay with Sarah!" 

Me being 6 at the time and Sarah 8, we weren't far in age for 1, and 2 we were VERY close. I was always by her side. Whether it be at home, at studies, and even just having out at night. I was always with her. She was there for me and I was there for her. I was her little sidekick. I thought my mother knew that. "No. Delilah. Get your father and tell him to come to the tree. After, I want you to go straight to the Howards. Ok? I don't want you getting hurt either!" She shouted. I was scared by her sudden change in voice so I just nodded. Before I left, I put my straw bracelet on her wrist and kissed her head. 

♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕♕

I feel like a memory was a good place to end in this chapter! This whole story is under construction and I feel it coming together pretty well! This will be following the baseline plot of The Patriot and with a lot of the same characters as well. So be prepared for some Col. William Tavington and Aunt Charlotte! Until next time Sharks!

-S☼☁