Bar Time

"What seems to be a series of unfortunate events may, in fact, be the first steps of a journey"
-Lemony Snicket

The room had a green mat hanging on one of the sides and a tripod with a camera on the opposite.

Two men stood near to the camera, one is Jay and another may be the producer.

I stood on the center of the green mat,

''Pose'' Jay shouted

I flipped my free-flowing hair to give a beautiful smile,

"Pose"

I stood on a single leg tiptoed, and a single hand kept on my thigh, giving a posh look.

"Hot pose"

I moved my crop top little more further to relieve my belly button and caught the end of my top in one hand and gave a streamy pose.

"Finish"

I corrected my dress and stepped out.

You might think that one of them may call me again, but none called back. 'Cause I'm not a great model or a fictional character who faces too many miracles.

I got out of the old building, the phone buzzed inside my bag.
I saw Veda picture on the display.
I swiped right to attend it.

"Hey, where are you?"

"Just another test shoot"

I can hear her taking a deep breath.

"How long you going to do the same thing"

"Till I get success."

"We are going to a party today night, and you're invited"

"No, you better go with your boyfriend alone, why me?"

"You're coming dot. I will pick you at nine"

"But no.."

I wondered why she never listens to me. Veda is my good friend from the same industry, but she left modeling and joined a private company as a clerk a few months back. She thinks girls like us from the lower middle class will never have a bright future in this field. So, she got a good rich boyfriend and a decent job. She calls herself settled.
This industry gives you fame and money easily and that's what I need. My ultimate goal is to get richer soon or in the near future. I thought this can be a short route, but it's wrong. Anyway, I'm not going to give up in the middle.

I being a class topper and studious good student. Why did I take this path? A flashback came rushing to my mind, but I didn't want to think about it now.

So again, today night I have to sneak out from my window if I wanted to go to the party.

I reached home at 7 pm, mom was not very furious with me.

We had dinner silently with roti and dal. She was engaged in her cooking videos on YouTube. I wish I had some hobbies like that so that I can stop overthinking everything.

"I got to sleep Ma, I'm tired" I fake yawn.

"You don't have to work this hard dear, you can still be satisfied with what you have," she says

That ringed loud in my head, what do I literally have?
I closed my fist in frustration and with my strong force, I banged on the table.
My mom clearly got scared.
The shocked expression on my mom's face made me soften a bit.