Guilty

"When I told you to seduce her, I didn't think you'd take me so literally."

"Mother . . ." Draco sighed. When he'd been informed that he had a visitor after the disaster in court, he hoped it would be Hermione. He could only imagine how she was feeling right now. Did she even still have a job?

Upon seeing his mother sitting there instead, Draco realized there was a very good chance he would never see Hermione Granger again. She probably hated him.

"That's not what happened, Mother, and you know it," he said.

"Do I?" Narcissa raised a perfectly groomed eyebrow. "Draco, you've never been reasonable when it comes to that girl. Now she's likely cost you your one chance of getting out of here."

"It's not her fault!"

"Really? So, you take full responsibility, then? At least you're finally willing to admit your feelings for her."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Draco said, folding his arms.

"Draco, please, give me some credit. I'm your mother, after all. You were never impartial to her." Draco set his jaw but didn't speak as his mother went on. "Everything . . . the Quidditch World Cup, failing to identify Potter, not killing Albus Dumbledore—I was happy about all of that, you know. It showed there was still goodness in you. But it was more than that . . . it was because of her."

Narcissa patted his hand, then sighed and stood up.

"I hope she's worth it," she said, before walking out the door.

"Miss Granger, I must say, I'm quite shocked."

"Minister Shacklebolt, please let me explain," Hermione said, feeling absolutely mortified.

Shacklebolt folded his hands. "All right, I'm listening."

"I wasn't entirely forthright with you that day when I asked to be removed from Draco Malfoy's case. Our bad history at Hogwarts was certainly true, but there was something else."

"A relationship?"

"No! Merlin, no . . ." Hermione took a deep breath and recounted her story, starting with her torture at the hands of Bellatrix at the Manor, finishing with how she and Draco had kissed after she'd discovered that Draco had helped her.

Hermione shook her head. "I should have removed myself from the case immediately. I was about to, but then Harry agreed to testify. I didn't want Draco to lose Harry's testimony, so I kept quiet. Draco and I agreed what happened between us was a mistake, and I swear, our relationship has been nothing but professional ever since. I guess I thought we could move past it and just pretend it never happened. I know it was wrong of me."

Shacklebolt was silent for a long time, then he finally nodded his head.

"I think I understand." Shacklebolt folded his hands under his chin. "I do hold myself partially responsible for this messy situation. I should have listened to you originally when you asked not to take on the case. Now, there will need to be an investigatory hearing on this matter to confirm what you just told me, but I don't think you will have too much to worry about. But until then, you are to have no contact with Draco Malfoy."

Hermione nodded.

"I was going to wait until after the trial to tell you, but I already filed the paperwork last week to move you to the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures as Head Mediator. I've known for a while that is where your true passion lies, and I believe your experience as a Defense Inquisitor will serve you well to implement the laws and statutes for those most in need."

Shacklebolt tapped his chin. "Given this situation, I believe it would be prudent not to hesitate but to move you there immediately. There might be some backlash after this, but I will do my best to ease the situation. You have earned this role, Miss Granger, I have no doubt about that. I know you will do great things with it."

Hermione was amazed. She'd entered Shacklebolt's office thinking she would be getting fired and had instead gotten a promotion. It was unbelievable.

Of course, she knew she would face pushback from some of her colleagues over the scandal that was soon to be splashed all over the tabloids, but she didn't care. She knew she had, indeed, earned this promotion and was ready to prove herself in her new role.

"Thank you, Minister." Hermione nodded. "I'm extremely grateful for this opportunity, and I will do everything I can to earn your confidence in me again."

Shacklebolt smiled. "I'm sure you will. Now I think it would be best if you took the rest of the week off and let some of the commotion die down. You can start your new position on Monday."

Hermione thanked him again and got up to leave. Before she reached the door, she stopped.

"Minister . . . what will happen with Draco's case?"

"I already put in a request with the American Ministry of Magic to send extra Inquisitors to help with the influx of cases we've had. Voldemort's reign barely touched over there. I'll appoint one of them to replace you."

Hermione nodded, thinking it was the best she could have hoped for Draco. At least, he would not be left at the mercy of one of her corrupt colleagues. She hoped whoever he got would be able to take on McLaggen.

As Hermione went to Floo home, she hesitated. She wanted to go to Azkaban and see how Draco was doing. He was probably extremely apprehensive about his future now.

But she knew she couldn't. Any contact with him was out of the question until she had her misconduct hearing. Plus, if the media frenzy she'd been attacked by outside the courtroom was any indication, her every move was going to be watched until another more exciting story broke. In the meantime, it would be better for Draco if she didn't go anywhere near him. Doing so would only fuel the fire to the rumors that were sure to be swirling.

She sighed as she threw a handful of Floo powder down. What a mess this case had turned into. Would all her hard work be for nothing? Would Draco get a fair chance now?

Her heart was heavy as she stepped into her apartment that afternoon. She should have been extremely happy to have finally reached the end of her career defending Death Eaters. But she couldn't help feeling sad that she hadn't been able to complete the one case that really meant something to her