Leap

I found him sitting next to an elfishly perfect girl with a short black bob and a perfect figure. She rivaled his beauty and had smoky make-up around her light brown eyes. I was guessing that they were all rich judging from their perfectly clean, unwrinkled clothes. He was talking to her and looked excited about something. My stomach rolled over and my eyes hurt as I concluded that this must be his girlfriend. After all, how could a guy, like that, not have one? What had I been thinking? There was no need for me to choose between Jack and Alex. First of all, I hadn't gotten over my dead boyfriend, second, I was a junior in high school, and third, he already had a girlfriend. I explained to myself. I could never have him, but as I saw them sitting there next to each other in the dim pub, I knew I wanted him. I tried to talk my wounded heart out of it but it didn't work. I could barely get my eyes off of him, even when Marnie called me back to reality. She was studying my features probably trying to interpret my emotions. I didn't know what my face showed and I didn't even know what I really felt.

"So! I was wondering if you and Scarlet were interested in being in a sort of Wiccan group with me." Marnie repeated, after we had sat down at the little pub that was below her apartment where she lived with her single mother.

"You mean like a coven?" I asked, my eyes narrowing.

"Yeah..." she smiled, with hesitation, as if she was embarrassed of the idea of a coven.

"Sounds cool." I smiled warmly, trying to give her confidence in the fact that she was Wiccan. She smiled sweetly, her eyes squinting personably.

"Good." She laughed. "We could have an initiation ceremony later this week." She suggested with her index finger pointed and her eyes swiveling like she was going over a list in her head.

"With Scarlet and Cassidie?" I clarified. Marnie wore a brief frown, but quickly replaced it with a furtive smile. She doesn't want Cassidie to join us. I thought to myself.

"Yes." Marnie chimed. Then, her expression changed suddenly as she looked up past me.

"Hey, Silver, can I talk to you?" he asked in his quiet, smooth voice. I turned to see Jack standing right behind me. There was a smile in his voice and the way he said my name made my heart swell. His eyes were mesmerizing and I could barely think straight enough to nod.

"What's up?" I asked with an awkward smile, as my eyes located his girlfriend still sitting in their booth. She sat with a dark-skinned guy with a buzz-cut, who leaned on the back of the black leather booth with a cool expression on his handsome face.

"Do you want to see a movie with me on Friday?" he asked coolly.

"Yeah, that'd be fun... do you want my number?" I asked standing up stiffly and taking out my phone shakily but quickly. I suppressed a cringe. My question sounded stupid out loud and my movements bordered on clumsy. He smiled slightly and took out his slim black phone and exchanged it for my bulky red dinosaur.

His phone was slippery and its clean, shiny surfaces were almost intimidating to me. I typed in my name and my number as fast as I could, trying not to look developmentally and technologically slow. I could feel Marnie's eyes analyzing us from one angle and Jack's friends from another as I read over my number three times to make sure it was right. I could see my hands shaking with each beat of my pounding heart and it made me want to scowl at body for being so difficult when I just needed to be cool. I had my foot still resting on my chair and I had to take it back before moving to give his phone back. I was tottering over my own chair because I hadn't moved far enough away from it. Jack handed me my phone back and I used my sleeve to wipe my fingerprints off the sleek surface of his phone as inconspicuously as I could before giving it back. He smirked as he watched me and I knew he had seen me wipe his phone off like a weirdo.