Chapter Five - The truth of the matter

Start from the beginning

They finished the rest of their lunch catching up on each other's lives and what the other was up to right now.  It had been months since they had seen each other and it was sad that it took this for them to reach out to each other.

***

As she lay in her bed she was eating a box of her favourite chocolates watching reruns of I love Lucy and Breakfast at Tiffany's.  At the moment it was Breakfast at Tiffany's.  Whenever she was sad or down she these were the movies she always turnt to.  

It was the scene where Holly meets Paul as she ate her chocolates with tears streaming down her face from her blue cerulean eyes.  

Evelyn heard the door open and knew that her sister, Vivienne, was home now.  

"Shit, Evelyn," Viv said to her sister.  "What the hell happened?"

Evelyn paused the telly as she finished a bite chocolate.

"I had lunch with Jake."

"Our brother Jake?" Vivienne said confused as her eyebrows furrowed.  "What could he have possibly said to make you upset?"

Although Jake and Evelyn weren't as close like she and Eric, they still deeply admired the other.  Wanting only the best for each other.  Vivienne on the other hand was closest to Jake and sometimes found it hard when Eve and Jake got in rows with each other.  

"No, not that Jake," Evelyn laughed as she shook her head.  "Jake Levingston.  Blair's ex."

"Oh," Vivienne scrunched up her nose in distaste.  She honestly didn't want her sister to have anything to do with any of them.  Not that she didn't mind Jake but he was linked to Blair.  Vivienne was different from her sister.  Once you messed up horribly, it was hard for her to forgive them.  This was the first time that Evelyn wasn't going to forgive Blair and Liam.  There were some things that just weren't forgivable.  "Again, what did he want?"

Vivienne had met Jake quite a few years ago.  They had been in similar social circles but had never met until her sister knew him.  She liked him when she first met him but felt as though he had been tainted by Blair and was no longer deemed as attractive in her eyes.

"We were discussing the rumours of us sleeping together and how he believes that Blair and Liam are behind them.  I know you don't like Jake, but trust me, you don't have to worry about him.  I know that you think because he was with Blair he's not as attractive anymore but he is not who we have to worry about.  He's a good friend."

***

On her desk the next day as she arrived to work she was confused and shocked to see a beautiful bouquet of flowers including carnations, scabiosas, snapdragons and ruscus sitting on her desk in a vase with a card.  Walking closer toward the vase she took the card out of its place and read it.

Thought you could use some cheering up.

- W

She tried to rack her brain who W could be.  W?  Who the bloody hell goes by W?  She had her friend Warren but he was married to her good friend Elise.  It dawned on her that these were from William.  Evelyn smiled as she shook her head wishing she could talk to him.  They arrived at the perfect time.

With all the shit that has gone down its amazing that Evelyn is still afloat.  It seemed as though it was bad news after bad news.  

Evelyn had another busy day at work but to her busy was good.  Being busy meant that business was booming.  That she was able to provide for her employees and that people were still making her dream come true.

It was now the end of the day and she headed back to the apartment.  It was cosy but she also knew she wanted her own space.  She loved her sister, but she knew she couldn't live here forever, although it was great in the meantime.

It was a rainy day in London as she walked along the cobblestone streets feeling some of the gaps between the stones between her pink heels.  Her mobile rang as she reached in her coat pocket for it having just finished with work.

"Hello?" said Evelyn as she was fishing for her keys as she walked to her car.

"Eve, hi!" Elise's chipper voice rang through the mobile allowing her to smile at the familiar, friendly tone.  "How're you?"

Elise had also been one of Evelyn's good friends since primary school.  She was the complete opposite of Evelyn.  She was taller than her.  Elise had fiery red hair and a personality to match.

"I've been okay.  And you?"

"I'm fine, thank you.  I was just curious.  What do you think about taking a short holiday?"

***

"Twice in one day, Lieutenant?" Evelyn said with a casual smirk as she answered her mobile to William as she was finally home.  "Aren't I lucky?"

"Lieutenant, huh?" William joked back.  "That's a first.  But no, I wanted to see how you were doing and to let you know I'll be in London in a few weeks."

"Really?" A big grin made its way to her face as she thought about seeing William again.  "Well, you'll have to let me know what day so that we can have that dinner..."

"Oh no," William laughed liking the fact she seemed to be in a better mood.  "I can't let you know yet."

"Why not?"

"Because it's a surprise."

"Well, I should let you know then I'm taking a short holiday."

"Really?  How long will you be gone?  Any idea where you are headed?"

"I'll be gone for a week with my good friend Elise.  We're headed to Shere, Surrey.  Ever been?" She asked him curious of all the places he's traveled to.

"I can't say that I have," he told her honestly.  "Isn't it a quiet little village?"

"It is," Evelyn nodded her head even though he couldn't see her.  "It'll be nice to get out of the city for a bit.  Thank you for the flowers, William.  They were beautiful."

"It was my pleasure," he said sincerely.  

Because he was away with the military at the moment he asked his father if he could order a bouquet of flowers and send it to her address for her.  He already knew what flowers he wanted he just needed his pa to send it and he was grateful to him that he did.  No questions were asked - no curiosity.  Charles did it knowing that it must mean something special if his son was sending flowers to a woman seeing as he didn't send flowers to just anyone.  

He knew he would tell him in due time.