Chapter Thirty-One : "hi Evelyn. it's Kate. Kate Middleton."

With the money that she had received from her friends and family she gave it to the hospital as an anonymous donation.  She was incredibly grateful to everyone who had donated for the cause and had a great time regardless of her boyfriend not being able to be there.  

Evelyn was busier than ever.  With William gone back with the military she was putting all of her focus into her business and she was coming out with her birthday line since her twenty-fifth was on Valentine's Day.  

She wanted to make her birthday collection fun but also wearable.  She allowed her team to voice their opinions on what their colour scheme should be and what different textures and designs they should do.  Mary-Kate and Antoine were very helpful in this particular event.  

Antoine had given the idea of fun, bright neon colours and Mary-Kate thought of some pastels to balance it out but still make it fun and girly by adding peter pan collars to add to the mix.  

Evelyn loved all the ideas and Mary-Kate sketched them out as they even added accessories like necklaces, jewelry and handbags to the collection.  It was a first for Evelyn and she and her team couldn't be more excited for the new collection.

Evelyn had sent them to H&M and Anthropologie and had loads of success with this line.  It was sold out within one day and Evelyn was absolutely floored.  She was not expecting this much success with this line.

"Can you believe it?" Evelyn asked her assistant, Sam.  "It's been a whilst since we've seen this much success.  Not even their holiday collection received this much success so fast.  They had to send more items to both stores as even their online stores had sold out.  

"It's amazing," Sam agreed with her boss.  "Well deserved as well."

"Thank you Sammy," Eve smiled at her.  "I couldn't have done it without any of you."

It wasn't until later that Evelyn checked her mobile and saw that she had a voice mail from an unknown number.  Her eyebrows furrowed slightly due to the confusion, but nonetheless she still listened to it.  

"Hi Evelyn," Kate cleared her throat slightly due to feeling nervous.  "It's Kate.  Kate Middleton.  I hope you don't mind but Eric gave me your phone number.  I was thinking and I would really love to get together with you and talk whenever you are free.  If you could call me back I would appreciate it and I look forward to hearing from you."

Evelyn was kind of surprised that she heard from Kate.  She wasn't sure if at the time that Kate had really meant that she wanted to get to know her or not.  Especially given their now history of dating the same guy.  Putting aside her feelings, knowing she was doing this for Eric as well, she dialed Kate back.  She almost hoped that it would go to voicemail so that she wouldn't have to speak to her.  Answering on the fourth ring, Evelyn heard that light British accent that was now familiar to her.

*

"Hi, how are you?" Kate asked Evelyn after they greeted the other with kisses on their cheeks.

"I'm doing well," the blonde smiled at the brunette.  "How've you been?"

"Busy but good," Kate smiled back.

"You know, if I'm being honest I was surprised by your phone call."

"I know," Kate took a deep breath.  "I meant what I said though and I want us to get along.  I promise I'm not dating Eric to get Will back.  That relationship is long gone.  I really like your brother and I want to get to know his family.  I know that you both have a really close relationship."

"Thanks," Evelyn smiled to the brunette.  "I appreciate that.  I want to be able to be close to you too.  I hope we can actually get passed the odd bits now that we got that out of the way."