Chapter 18 - Gratitude

After we finished breakfast, Ryder had Rayna escort me downstairs to the kitchens to begin my day while he went to his office for finish up some work before supervising the pack training in the afternoon.

What I wouldn't give to train right now.

Rayna was pleasant enough as we walked together down to the main floor of the pack house where the kitchens were located. She didn't act as if she hated me at all, but I knew she had to be on her best behavior, being the Alpha's assistant. Regardless, I was glad to know at least one pack member wouldn't be trying to make me miserable today.

Once we reached the main level of the pack house, Rayna led me to a back hallway that ran behind the dining hall and then into the kitchens. Upon entering, I was quite impressed. The kitchens were divided into three large sections – one for food prep, one for cooking, and one for cleaning. All of the equipment seemed to be very modern and in pristine condition, and both the adults and teenagers who were already busy with their work seemed to be happy doing so.

"Marvin!" Rayna called out, causing a large man in the food preparation area to turn around and direct his attention towards us.

The man, I now knew as Marvin, quickly got the hint once recognizing who was calling out to him. He set down his knife, and then made his way over to us.

"This is Luna Zahra – she will be volunteering her time to work with you all today. If you would be kind enough to give her a tour, teach her the basics of each station, and then assign her to a task for the remainder of your shift, Alpha Ryder would be very appreciative," she explained.

Marvin started at us blankly for several seconds, as if he were wondering if this was some kind of joke. He then looked directly at me before turning his attention back to Rayna. Although he hadn't spoken yet, I was getting the feeling that he held some distaste for me.

"Of course," he finally grunted out, remaining professional, but seeming unpleased nonetheless.

"Thank you," Rayna replied with a small smile. "Luna, this is Marvin. He's our head of meal prep in the kitchens and works very closely with our head chef. He's wonderful at what he does, and has had this job for many, many years. I trust you'll be in good hands."

I forced a smile and nodded to her, even thought I was groaning internally, "Did Ryder say how long I'd...erm...be volunteering here today?"

"Until the end of Marvin's shift. Don't worry though – breakfast is already over for the day, so you'll only have two more meals to go!" Rayna told me, as if that was wonderful news.

Two more meals? I'd be here until dinner time or after?

"If either of you need anything, I'll be upstairs cleaning your quarters, Luna," she added, before bowing her head ever so slightly in respect, and then exiting the kitchen.

Marvin and I stood there, staring at one another for quite some time. Neither of us really knew what to say or do. The tension between us made it very, very obvious to me, that Martin was one of the many pack members who wanted me exiled from the pack.

He was a tall, stocky man with a little extra meat around his mid-section, and he appeared to be in his mid-to-late thirties. He had light, sandy brown hair that was cut short and neat, and light brown eyes that, in this moment, seemed very full of judgment towards me.

"Alright then, let's have at it. This here first section of the kitchen is my main station. I do all of the meal prep here – gathering ingredients, cutting, chopping, portion planning, grating... you get the picture," he started, catching me off guard with the odd accent his voice held.