Chapter 17 - Worthy

~PLEASE read the author's note at the end!!!~

I remained silent, completely in shock with my mouth partly open, as I processed what Ryder had just told me. Never in my wildest dreams had I expected that to be my punishment.

My mate knew me all too well.

Ryder knew I'd endure any kind of physical punishment with my head held high. Almost any of the typical pack "punishments" I would have accepted and taken head on. That's not to say that I wouldn't have taken it seriously, but after growing up in the Night Fire pack and training almost as hard as an Alpha, there wasn't much I couldn't handle.

Except this.

Ryder watched me as I ran everything through my mind, thinking it over, wondering how exactly it would go. Not only was this punishment something that I truly dreaded, but even with my best attempt, it would be a challenge. The pack hated me right now and would likely make this even more difficult than it had to be.

I didn't really blame them, but that didn't mean I had to like it.

After what felt like ages of mulling it all over in my brain, I finally made eye contact with Ryder, prepared to speak.

"Of course," I stated with a nod.

Ryder stared back, seeming equally surprised and pleased with my acceptance.

If this was how I had to earn my mate's trust, then so be it. I'd give it my best effort. It was the least I could do, after all.

"I do have a question though," I added, not quite sure how long he'd stick around before distancing himself from me again.

Ryder nodded, urging me to continue.

"What about...us?" I started, sounding more desperate than intended. "Are we going to work on things between us too? Will you give me the chance to show you that I want this? That I'm ready to accept our bond with open arms?"

My voice was soft and pleading, my eyes wide, watery, and filled with emotion as I allowed myself to be open and raw with my mate.

"Will you give me the chance to show you I want you...please?" I added, my voice cracking a bit at the end.

Ryder let out a long, heavy sigh, seeming conflicted and troubled with our current circumstances. He then took a several steps forward, crossing the room towards me, and then slowing his pace as he closed the distance between us.

Hesitantly, he reached out towards me and gently cupped my cheek with his left hand, running his thumb gently along my cheekbone as he stared into my eyes, searching for any hint of insincerity. My breath caught in the back of my throat as warm sparks erupted over my cheek, trailing back and forth with the soft movement of his thumb. It occurred to me then that this was the first time either of us had really touched in such an intimate way, and the sensations it caused were breathtaking.

"Of course I will," he finally spoke, his voice deep, but low and oddly calming. "Nothing would make me happier."

My heart swelled at his words, warming my entire body. I silently thanked the Moon Goddess for giving me such a kind, merciful mate. I knew I wasn't completely forgiven yet, not even close, but knowing that he hadn't yet given up on me...there weren't words to describe it. I didn't deserve him.

I closed my eyes and leaned my head forward slightly, gently resting my forehead against his, and releasing a long sigh as the sparks began to spread across my entire head and face, down into my neck, from the contact.