Chapter Nine

"Bloody hell that is the fittest human being I've ever seen in my entire life! And when I say peng, I really mean it, oh my god he's so fit."

My jaw dropped as my gaze travelled towards the burgundy jersey labelled with the number 13. He had just taken off his helmet to reveal the slightly damp brunette hair spiked into a messy and dishevelled fringe and was headed towards his bag. The subtly blue eyes lightened his face as it had been shadowed with layers of equipment just seconds before.

"What language was that?" Leighton piped up with what seemed to be a stronger accent than earlier, from besides me and tried to follow my gaze. I snapped towards her realising my outburst and closed my open mouth from staring at number 13.

"Oh my god I did not realise I said that out loud," I pictured my face beginning to blush and I simply decided to embrace it "but number 13 though." I whistled towards the end of my sentence and lay back in my chair while I allowed Leighton to assess the situation.

Unfortunately just as she was about to identify the figure Gracie and Milly blocked her view as they ascended the stairs- so she shouted, quite loudly at them.

"Gracie, Milly move out of my way she's identified a target!" Leighton stood up and started on a mission to reach the metal bannister placed behind them.

Gracie almost spat out her drink at the revelation and turned towards me quickly "Who? Who? I thought you were gay, you didn't seem to be enjoying this but oh my god who is it?" Ignoring the comment in the middle I waved it off as Leighton started to hang over the pole dramatically.

"What's happening?" Milly asked calmly as she began to sit back down next to me.

"I called someone attractive and now they're freaking out." I said it calmly in hope that she wouldn't freak out too. As she slumped down, tray still in hand, her eyes widened slightly.

"How exciting, anyway I got you a drink to try." She dismissed the immature acts of her friends and rested the cardboard tray on the floor and pulled out a creamy looking drink with an abundance of sauce splattered around it. " I went simple for our first one, a Frappuccino with both chocolate and caramel sauce, because I couldn't decide." Her voice differentiated widely with mine as she read out the order, handing me the slightly melted drink.

"Thank you." I said gratefully ripping the end off the bright green straw. I looked over at Gracie and Leighton who were now dangling, quite hazardously over the railing beginning to shout at someone.

I held the straw in my mouth and blew the excess wrapping towards Milly. By the look on her face, this wasn't done very often in America.

"Mitchell! Who's wearing 13?" Gracie's voice shouted rather loudly down at the boys who were sitting on the Ben having their water break. As the attention of some other spectators turned to us, my new found shyness took over and I cowardly leant closer towards Milly, sipping my drink.

"Shush!" I shouted, slightly choking on a lump of syrup as I did so, realising that the girls were actually getting close to finding my mysterious figure. Although part of me was intrigued otherwise I would've stopped them earlier. So that's why I didn't really try hard I'm stopping them at any point.

"Jackson. Why? Who's asking?" The voice shouted back up, causing loud whispers to to start circling between the boys. My eyes bulged at the revelation. Such an American name.

Leighton uses this opportunity to turn to me and throw an 'okay' sign with both hands, pouting as if the choice is good. "Jackson as in Noah?" She shouts back down taking another sip of her drink as she does. As she clearly received an answer to her question, the conversation seemed to end as Gracie began to skip back over towards Milly and I.

I casually took another sip of my drink as they surrounded me, "You've got good taste."Leighton pointed out as she was searching through her phone as she said it.  I was aware of this, it was obvious to me. As the whistle rang for the boys to run back onto the field, I was able to scape out number 13. I found him quickly as he was running up front next to Mitchell, with his helmet back on the only thing I was able to admire was the skin visible on his arms between the padding and the sleeve and the toned legs he was working as he ran. We do not have boys like that back home.

"Look!" Leighton demands as she forcefully throws her phone in front of my face, with my eyes taking a second to focus on the screen I saw an image of a boy standing next to Mitchell in his practice gear. With the same brown messy brown hair that I just saw I knew it was the boy. "Noah Jackson, junior year, besties with the besties bro." She smiled at Milly and playfully hit her shoulder with her phone from over my legs. "He's a good pick if I'm being honest, although he likes a bit of a party." She swipes the screen to reveal another photo of him standing in a bigger group with different cans and bottles in their hands.

I laughed lightly, getting slightly hurt by the words of Leighton, which I assume is a dig at the 'posh exterior' of the British. "That's great." I said, pushing her phone back into her lap. "I love to party." Gracie almost spat out her drink, she clearly wasn't expecting that one and even Leighton's eyes widened at the fact. 

Brushing it off, I stood up to stretch my legs and then I proceeded to kneel down to shuffle my bag to find some gum, I had a feeling I had chocolate syrup covered around my mouth. I placed my empty cup on the ground to dispose of later, then I sat back up, however the girls were still looking at me like I told them I was pregnant with aliens.

"I'm so happy your not stuck up like I thought you were going to be." Gracie sighed with a smile resting calmly on her face, it was contagious so I ended up smiling too, despite not knowing how to take her words.

The awful bell echoed across the school to reveal that lunch was coming to a close. Milly had informed me that during lunch they had three bells. The warning- the one we had just heard, which was to inform any activities to start packing away, the travelling- the bell which rings shortly after the previous which tells students to start moving to the next lesson and finally, the arrival- beginning of the next period.

With this bell being the warning bell it meant that the boys began to make their way back inside the building, despite it only seeming like a few minutes ago that they only got back on the field again. With this Leighton pouted and pretended to whimper like a sad puppy, "Show's over."

As I was taking one of my final glances towards the field I noticed Mitchell pointing up with his stick towards where we were sat. "Hey Milly, I think your brother is looking for you." She pulled her head up from out of her bag and looked across the pitch also.

"Oh no girl, they're looking for you." She smirked slightly at her words and immediately caught the attention of Gracie and Leighton too. Looking up to see if she was right, I laid eyes on the pair of boys yet again, Mitchell was laughing as they were slowly seeming to get closer to the building and it was only then I noticed him again.

He had taken off his helmet and held it tightly in his hand along with his stick, his eyes squinted as he looks towards the sun and up in my direction. Our eyes met. He was still far enough away to hold the eye contact but carry on walking closer, I flicked my eyes away but his gaze was still upon me. Then he smiled at me, a wild goofy smile that would make hearts start again.