𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚃𝚑𝚛𝚎𝚎

┏━━━━━━━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━━━━━━━┓

A month later

La'kea's sleep schedule was slowly careening towards nocturnal as she was settling farther and farther into her faux freedom. As the crew members were eating dinner, she was eating breakfast. Wandering the ship as she pleased, although avoiding the part of the ship the prince occupied, she developed a habit of being a night walker.

The crew members attitudes towards her had only shifted slightly, instead of outwards loathing there was now just plain indifference. Once they realized that she wasn't going to be a hindrance to their job, they didn't care where she went and what time she did it.

In all the stops they had made at ports over the last month to restock and refuel, La'kea hadn't managed to escape. By order of the prince, out of spite for the slave, they had either docked and left while she was sleeping, or had waited in the deep waters while a team took a smaller boat. She cursed the prince behind his back in retaliation, everyday was another nudge in the direction of bringing the ship down to the bottom of the seabed.

Turned out she might not have had to do it herself.

One morning, La'kea was rudely awoken from her slumber by being tossed from her cot. She barely had time to wobble to her feet before the room was rolling underneath her again. With a groan, she realized that the ship had been caught in a storm, a bad one if it was able to throw her. Still rubbing the sleep from her eyes, La'kea made her way to the deck, completely forgetting the chains still on her bedside.

The crew were running to and fro, securing various things on the deck. Lightening flashed against the dark sky. Rain was hammering against the metal ship, creating a sound like drums. The massive waves tossing the ship around were rising higher than the upper deck.

Out of all the chaos around her, from the rolling sea, to the frenzied crew. La'kea was the only one at ease.

Struggling to get her footing, she started making her way across the deck, only for two soldiers to stop her. She couldn't hear what they were saying over the drumming of the rain, or the thunder claps, but she realized belatedly that they were pointing to the chains that were missing.

As they both made to grab one of her arms, a wave rose above the side of the ship and crashed onto the deck. The soldiers braced themselves, preparing to get tossed over board and surely pulled into the sea, but she didn't flinch.

The slave held up her hand, and the crew members watched as the water split around them, passing harmlessly over the rails. They let her go as she continued making her way to the upper deck.

The prince was there, shouting commands that were drowned out next to the lieutenant of the ship.  He only cast an angry glance before electing to ignore her. She thanked the spirits he wasn't testing her today, or she might not have done what she was going to do. Lucky for them, she was feeling particularly noble.

Slightly crouched to balance herself against the violent rocking of the ship. La'kea made a gesture of respect to the sky, the earth, and the ocean, bring one hand up then down to the side and repeating with her other hand. First, she would need to tap into the currents of the ocean around her.

Breathing slowly, inhale, she moved her arms in sync with the rocking of the ship. "That little minx is causing this storm," She vaguely heard the prince growl as she exhaled, water vapor in the air turning to liquid as she breathed.